Guinea
Decals

Color Chart

GFIA
Latest News

GFIA Articles &
Activities Index

Find us on Facebook

img: Ooops, sorry Chris (General Discussion)

by BennieAndTheJets, Saturday, October 22, 2016, 15:20 (159 days ago) @ Barbara-NH
edited by BennieAndTheJets, Saturday, October 22, 2016, 15:55

I was thinking I read Barbara's post but it was yours

I also liked your idea of being careful with the mass killing of parasites, Barbara - it could hurt the birds - again a float test would give some clues as to how badly infested they are with the parasites

I have a microscope that can see the eggs - but it is not easy to identify them if you have never done it before- I tried with online pictures of eggs at the same magnification factor, but it is not easy to be sure

the vet did one float for us and found nothing

then when Lucky was submitted for necropsy, again the vet said he had no parasites

still I found a few eggs under my microscope, but maybe not a large enough number to worry about it

Pinchy was definitely ill and the feather mites are real - look at this feather - that's what they do:

[image]

[image]

This feather came off Fire's back - he is the closest Pearl Gray in this shot (I got to trim those weeds to prevent foxes/coyotes/coons from hiding in there and stalking the birds - so far so good, but I hang closely with them when they go out, and I need to clear this stuff!, I know)

He does not look so bad from afar but his back is bald when he stands up his feathers to threaten or to clean himself - interestingly, some birds seem unaffected, like the Buff Dundotte walking next to him:

[image]

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread