Guinea
Decals

Color Chart

GFIA
Latest News

GFIA Articles &
Activities Index

Find us on Facebook

Can you trim his beak? (Diseases & Injuries)

by Barbara-NH, Saturday, November 12, 2016, 23:15 (106 days ago) @ BennieAndTheJets

I noticed when my guineas had longer beaks they would have trouble eating and picking up seeds and bugs. Whenever we trimmed their beaks, it would make a huge difference in how well they were able to eat. Worth a try anyway.

It does sound like Blue may have an issue with his nervous system. That does happen if their diet is either deficient or they are having trouble absorbing nutrients. It also can happen if the bird is stressed. If Blue has been taken down a notch in the pecking order, he could be feeling frustrated, and I imagine that could lead to weight loss due to constant nervousness. Just throwing out some of my thoughts. Sorry, but I really don't know what could be happening with him.

I'm not sure what I would do other than to offer him vitamins/electrolytes and as much high quality food as he will eat, especially some higher protein, as I've heard that it is important that birds (and mammals, too) get enough protein after a molt or a period of shedding. Otherwise the body may take the protein it needs for regrowth of feathers or fur from its muscles.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread