Color Chart

GFIA
Latest News

GFIA Articles &
Activities Index

Find us on Facebook

My experience (General Discussion)

by Barbara-NH @, Friday, December 09, 2016, 01:47 (202 days ago) @ adamshand

Hi Adam! Nice to have you here. I wish I could say that guineas always controlled ticks and fleas everywhere, but most guinea keepers do seem to have a great deal of success with tick control, especially. Every so often I hear a story about a reduction in fleas, but that doesn't happen a lot.

Personally, we didn't have a tick problem when we got our guineas. But, over the 14 years that we kept guineas, we never saw many ticks. I do believe our guineas helped.

We always kept food out (in the coop) for our guineas. I think that encouraged them to return to the coop more often. I don't think it mattered as far as their bug eating activities were concerned. They seemed to prefer going out to peck at bugs and grass even though they had plenty to eat right in front of them.

It sounds like your guineas are doing what they are supposed to do. They may not be wandering very far yet, but I suspect that they will venture out farther as they get older. From my experience and from what others have said, I think you will see less ticks over time. It may be a little early to notice much difference in the first year. I wouldn't give up on them just yet. :-)

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread