Guinea
Decals

Color Chart

GFIA
Latest News

GFIA Articles &
Activities Index

Find us on Facebook

Chickens and Guineas Co-existing (Behavior & Training)

by Heritage Hens @, Wednesday, February 15, 2017, 14:38 (158 days ago)

Often in the past there have been questions on the forum about raising chickens and guineas together and whether they get along well, etc.

This past Spring one of my Orpington hens hatched a few chicks and keets together. When it came time for them to begin free ranging out on the lawn, I let the hen out with her clutch and also two chicken roosters and two chicken hens who were sisters and brothers to the mother hen.

After over 11 years of raising guineas, this was the first time that I had a chicken rooster adopt two guinea keets. We sold all but two keets and two chicks who never left their "parents" as they grew up during the summer. What was peculiar is that if the rooster wandered off in one direction and the hen in another, the two guinea keets stuck right with the rooster. He continued to find things to feed them and call them over closer when he found treats for them.

Now, even though they are confined to the barn and their outdoor run, the 7 month old keets still stay close to their "Dad". At night when they roost, they perch together. So much fun to see.

I have tried to upload a picture but not having any luck.

--
Heritage Hens Homestead

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread