Guinea
Decals

Color Chart

GFIA
Latest News

GFIA Articles &
Activities Index

Find us on Facebook

Fenbendazole for Guineas - Dose and Safety (Diseases & Injuries)

by BennieAndTheJets, Saturday, April 29, 2017, 02:43 (147 days ago)

Hi you'all,

I think I got this figured out but love-love-love our Guineas and want to double check with you, just to make sure.

I will do a fecal float to see if the eggs are really there, but I am pretty sure we are dealing with Gapeworm and possibly Capillaria.

In the Exotic Animal Formulary by James W. Carpenter, it has a number of references and doses for fenbendazole for use in birds.  The trick is to read it correctly.  From what I understand, Gapeworm and Capillaria can be treated with 50 mg /kg of body weight for 5 days.  It does not have a specific reference for Guinea fowl.

Just weighed all our Guineas yesterday - oh boy - they are between 1.09 and 2.35 kg - so that would be 54.5 to 117.5 mg of fenbendazole.  We have the Safeguard for goats type with 100 mg/ml, so that would mean 0.545 to 1.175 ml or about 1/2 to 1.2 ml for our birds. Once a day, for 5 days in a row.

I had one bird at the vet's for loss of voice, and I think, from what I remember, she ended up getting 0.8 ml for 5 days.

So this sounds right to me.

The lightest bird would get about 1/2 ml for 5 days, our heaviest girl about 1.2 ml for 5 days.

Our vet said, he would not treat the whole flock, only symptomatic birds, because....  I don't remember - maybe he was worried about side effects?

The thing is, I have 26 Guineas and can't really tell who does not have anything.  Some have it, I am pretty sure, so I was going to treat everyone.

What do you think? Does that sound reasonable?  I don't want to hurt (or kill!?!) any of our birds with this.  Have you had any problems with high doses of fenbendazole / Safeguard for goats at about 1 ml a day for 5 days into the beak? 

Any input much appreciated!

Thanks, Bennie

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread