Color Chart

GFIA
Latest News

GFIA Articles &
Activities Index

Find us on Facebook

Bad behavior (General Discussion)

by Barbara, Friday, May 12, 2017, 11:12 (196 days ago) @ amarcoux

Unfortunately, it is normal for the guineas in a flock (males and/or females) to pick on one (or sometimes two) guineas. There is lots of speculation as to why that happens, but the most accepted explanation is that having an "inferior" member of the flock sets that bird up as a potential victim when a predator arrives on the scene, hence giving the rest of the flock a better chance of survival. If something happens to the "sacrificial" bird, the flock will almost always start to pick on another guinea to take its place. Personality seems to be a factor in which bird assumes that sacrificial role. Those that are more easily intimidated are likely to be placed low in the pecking order. I don't know why dominant behavior can go too far and result in injury to a "low bird." I do know that less of this behavior happens in larger flocks than what is seen in smaller ones.

I'm so sorry to hear about the incident with your flock. Can you provide a good hiding place and a separate feeding station for the injured one?

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread