Guinea
Decals

Color Chart

GFIA
Latest News

GFIA Articles &
Activities Index

Find us on Facebook

It could be a number of things (Diseases & Injuries)

by Barbara, Thursday, June 29, 2017, 21:44 (168 days ago) @ service1010

Balking at entering the coop usually indicates a "low bird" that is intimidated by another bird (or birds) and hesitates to join in with the rest of the flock, but you say no one is bothering her, so I doubt that is the problem.

Drawing the neck in can mean the bird is ill, cold, or protecting itself from an attack. She's definitely not cold in your 100 degree heat, and it doesn't sound like she's being attacked, so I think it's safe to say she is probably not feeling well.

She may have eaten something that doesn't agree with her, her crop could be sour or impacted, or she could have worms or parasites of some kind. Coccidiosis may also be of concern if it has been damp along with the heat you've been having. If she ate something that's making her feel ill, it may pass and she could get better on her own. If it's sour crop or impacted crop, you will need to try to treat it. Treatment for worms or other parasites depends on the type of parasite you are dealing with.

I would start by feeling her crop to see if it is hard or squishy, smelling her breath to see if it is sour, and looking down her throat to see if you can see any small red worms (gape worms). If all of that appears fine, I would then check her vent to look for a stuck egg or any kind of a foul-smelling discharge. If it's been warm and wet, I would give her a coccidiostat (Corid). Next I would try deworming her if you haven't done that lately.

I wonder if the heat is affecting her. If she hasn't been drinking, she could be dehydrated or overheated. Guineas can take some heat, but when they are too hot, they will puff out their feathers and pant. If you think that could be her problem, how about letting her stand in a shallow pan of cool water?

I hope she feels better soon. Please let us know what you find out when you examine her, and we can guide you through any treatment that she might need.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread