Guinea
Decals

Color Chart

GFIA
Latest News

GFIA Articles &
Activities Index

Find us on Facebook

Training a dog to leave the guineas alone (General Discussion)

by ChrisCT, Saturday, July 08, 2017, 09:54 (47 days ago) @ Trillium

I have successfully gotten all my dogs to see my birds as "part of the family" (some easier than others).

The hardest of which we ended up (after she actually grabbed, but did not hurt, one of them) using a shock collar with a remote. When she alerted to them, we shouted NO! When she lunged we shouted NO! and gave her a shock. It worked pretty quickly...

She was that only one we had to go that far with, I think because she was older, like yours. Puppies are easier but, a lot of it has to do with their desire too. I have had mostly Great Danes, the latest was a rescue Pitbull puppy and the easiest of any of them. We've also got her to totally ignore the Bunnies in our yard. She kills woodchucks, chases squirrels and chipmunks, but is aware that the bunnies get a "pass" in the backyard (you know, because of that Nose ;).

Quite remarkably, this same dog killed a RedTail Hawk! I'm not sure how, I didn't witness the take-down, but she "gets" the concept that the Hawks are the enemy we battle weekly with scare cartridges. The only scenario I can come up with is that this hawk dove on a squirrel she was charging (she laying-in-wait behind the hawks location). Maybe they met at the same point and she Won! But I found her barking at it as it tried to get away with a broken wing in the middle of the backyard. She's the most protective of my birds, alerts to hawks in the air when they do and runs to them when They alert.

Ebay has these remote training collars very inexpensively.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread