Guinea
Decals

Color Chart

GFIA
Latest News

GFIA Articles &
Activities Index

Find us on Facebook

img: Good-bye, Blue. (General Discussion)

by BennieAndTheJets, Saturday, July 15, 2017, 17:23 (39 days ago)
edited by BennieAndTheJets, Saturday, July 15, 2017, 17:38

Blue died on July 7, 2017 - We miss him dearly.

In Memory of Blue - he was one of our strongest birds until he got sick in November 2016 at the age of only 4 - he kept loosing weight, despite vet care and medication (in retrospect I wish I had gone after the vet visits more - we only went once). He made it to 5 years old, but not further.

He spent most of the winter in my bathroom and I hand fed him - against his wishes - for 2 months with baby bird formula - one to three times a day.

When I put his image on our T-shirt last year, I thought I was safe because he would live a long time - I don't like the sadness of images of Guineas who are gone - but there you have it.

He was a real trooper and a strong and confident bird, even when his weight was down to nothing. He still held his own in the flock and went out free-ranging. In his last days he was still jumping up to fetch Japanese Beetles from our roses. I thought he would turn around and come back - he never gave up until the last 24 hours. He gave me time to say a final good-bye in person and then left.

Blue 2012 to 2017
[image]

Blue at 1 year old - he was a most handsome Coral Blue and did his name honor
[image]

Blue in January 2017
[image]

Blue in March of 2017
[image]

Blue in June - still dust bathing and running with Spirit, despite reduced strength
[image]

[image]
Good-bye, Blue. I know you'll be really something, wherever you go.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread