Guinea
Decals

Color Chart

GFIA
Latest News

GFIA Articles &
Activities Index

Find us on Facebook

Guineas and Barn Flies (General Discussion)

by BennieAndTheJets, Sunday, July 16, 2017, 16:42 (154 days ago) @ service1010

Yeah - be careful with cats! It is toxic to cats, I think, too.

For birds I like to consult a book I saw in a vet office - you can get it on Amazon - it is not cheap but well worth it to me:

https://www.amazon.com/Exotic-Animal-Formulary-James-Carpenter/dp/1437722644/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=150023...

I look up chemicals in there, in the bird section - they sometimes list Guinea Fowl - it depends on the available references, i.e. if someone has published research on the chemical with Guineas - the book is great in that it is a collection of most of the available information on chemicals and birds (exotics) for pest control, anesthesia, anti-inflammatory action, treatment of toxicological conditions, nutritional/mineral support, etc. - references are in back, so you can look up the original studies, if desired

Anyway, from what I can see it lists permethrin and piperonyl butoxide / methroprene for use in birds on plumage to control lice, mites, fleas, etc. but says not available for use in the US - also, it may be toxic to keets but not adults - dunno

I would be careful with dosage and frequency - also with creating resistances in the pests you are targeting, if overused - but it is your call

I have resorted to using Front Line on our dogs, even though fipronil is toxic to bees and aquatic live and has a half-life of 125 years (125 years! - half-life!) in the ground - I would rather not use it but can't risk the tick exposure right now - any better ideas welcome!

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread