Guinea
Decals

Color Chart

GFIA
Latest News

GFIA Articles &
Activities Index

Find us on Facebook

How do you mix Tylan powder? (Diseases & Injuries)

by BennieAndTheJets, Wednesday, August 02, 2017, 19:46 (137 days ago)

I called Elanco and they were utterly unhelpful, to the point of being gleeful that they would not help me with a very basic question about their product.

The question is: rather than following the instructions on the container and mixing the entire content with 1 Gallon of water before mixing this gallon with enough additional water to make 50 Gallons at once, how do you mix it to get just one gallon of the same solution at a time?

A male veterinarian at their office told me he could not legally tell me this. I actually doubt the correctness of his statement - I can see that he cannot advise on using the product for an off-label species or at the wrong concentration, but I doubt that he can legally not translate the instructions to yield a smaller amount of solution, at the same concentration.

I suspect that he may be ignorant of how to calculate this or otherwise unable or unwilling to make an effort to answer the question, and I think I will let the company or even government regulators know because there are all sorts of guesses on the internet as to how to mix the antibiotic, some referring to a call to Elanco, and I collected no fewer than 7 different concentrations resulting from the different guesses at mixing the product correctly. With their unwillingness to provide information to a conscientious consumer (and paying customer) Elanco is contributing to the likely and unintentional misuse of an antibiotic that may render it ineffective in the future, and they are responsible for their product and user support/instructions.

So, how do you mix it to get the correct concentration for less than 50 Gallons at a time and why do you think it is correct?

Just curious if anyone wants to chime in after all this. :-/ :-D

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread