Guinea
Decals

Color Chart

GFIA
Latest News

GFIA Articles &
Activities Index

Find us on Facebook

img: They are usually very timid the first time out (General Discussion)

by kim ⌂, Pontotoc, TX, Friday, August 04, 2017, 11:40 (135 days ago) @ Barbara-NH

They seem to have become use to being out and about. The extra waterer gets a lot use in the Texas heat and I find them having a drink frequently throughout the day. Thanks for that tip Barbara.

[image]

My French Bulldog has taken upon himself to be their guardian, which is somewhat odd, he is usually the first dog into the fray, killing skunks, raccoons, and porcupines who stray to close to the barns. I would have wagered on the Lab. He follows them around keeping an eye out for anything unusual. The little guy is really kinda funny, walking them out of the coop first thing in the morning and not wanting to leave after putting them up in the evening.

[image]

The keets have become really responsive to the cow bell, running to the noise and collecting their treats. Sure makes it easy to put them up. They currently are well behaved guineas, no bullying, fighting or mischief. They have discovered the horse round pen, which is a 50 foot diameter dirt pen to work horses in...... but it's the dirt they love. It's really loose from hooves so makes for fluffy dirt to get covered in. Happy Guineas!! They still have not ranged more that 100 yards from the barns, but I suspect as they get larger and can navigate the deep grass they will discover just how much real estate they have to play in.

[image]

They turn 8 weeks this coming Tuesday and I think all have found their adult voice. That's some racket when all have something to say. They all make a really funny sound when they fly, a kind of clucking sort of sound. I had not heard this before from all the videos I've watched, so I found it to be enjoyable to hear. Even if I can't see them, if I hear the clucking, I know they are flying somewhere.

This has turned into a quit enjoyable experience........hope it continues!!

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread