Decals

Color Chart

GFIA
Latest News

GFIA Articles &
Activities Index

Find us on Facebook

Awesome treat recipe (Feed & Nutrition)

by BennieAndTheJets, Saturday, August 05, 2017, 00:57 (73 days ago)
edited by BennieAndTheJets, Saturday, August 05, 2017, 01:12

My vet also gave us a recipe for nutrition support

It is called "The Landing Mash" and originally meant for parrots - here is a link:

https://featheredangels.wordpress.com/2012/12/31/the-landing-mash-from-the-happy-cockatoo-elles-avian-cuisine/

I changed it for three reasons:

1) I can't have gluten, and I am sharing this health food :)

2) I don't think Guineas need as much fruit as parrots (sugar)

3) Our vet had chopped greens (not mushy) on the recipe card he gave me, and I like the idea (for me and the birds, he he)

My version:

The Running Home Mash

Boil 1 cup of quinoa and a sweet potato (chopped) or winter squash and some pieces of carrots for 15 min. with a spoon of Turmeric and a stick of cinnamon

Add fresh chopped greens and boil another minute

Drain and add a can of drained garbanzo beans and a hand full of pepitas (raw pumpkin seeds)

Can add frozen mixed veggies but I did not because I did not have any.

Since the Guineas were likely to waste most of this on their first exposure and I wanted to make the effort and expense worth it, I had a very healthy dinner and a nice breakfast from this treat preparation effort - hm, turmeric and cinnamon! - and the Guineas got to take a stab at it. I am not sure how much they ate since I did not have the patience to sit there and watch as they look at it for hours before trying a bite, but most of it was gone by the evening. }-D

I will try it again, especially when there are sick birds, to provide extra nutrition.

Sprinkled the whole thing with meal worms, millet, and tiny pieces of watermelon "to pique their interest" as the recipe author so eloquently put it.:-D

Remember: Look up **toxic** foods for birds before feeding anything new! **No avocado, no potato, no onion, no chocolate, no coffee, no tea**, I think. As far as I understood, our vet ok'ed the ingredients I used for Guinea Fowl in the recipe above the stared line.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread