Guinea
Decals

Color Chart

GFIA
Latest News

GFIA Articles &
Activities Index

Find us on Facebook

img: Keet transition from heating plate to roosting? (Incubation & Brooding)

by steve, Western Massachusetts, Wednesday, August 16, 2017, 22:42 (65 days ago)
edited by steve, Wednesday, August 16, 2017, 22:47

It's been a while since I've had brooder box keets - the past 2 or 3 years they were hatched and raised by hens in the coop, and then just flew up on the perches themselves one day when they were ready. Also these 25 mail-order keets I have now are in a nursery in the coop, not in a cage in my house that had perches built-in. So, my question is, how and when do I transition away from the heater plate and when and how do I set up perches for them (if at all).

I forget when they can start perching and when they need to do that to feel safe. Additionally, I have never had more than about 10 keets at once, and now I have 25!

So, I'm wondering how to even go about setting up some "baby" perches in their nursery if I need to, and what and how much I use to do that for this large a flock. There's a 6-foot-wide perch a couple feet off the ground waiting for them in the main coop when they're ready; but I wasn't thinking I would let them out into the main coop until they were about 8 weeks old.

Here's some pics from 2 days ago of the birds and their nursery. I'm using a Premier 50 chick heating plate. The space is about 48" x 28",

[image]

[image]

[image]

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread