Guinea
Decals

Color Chart

GFIA
Latest News

GFIA Articles &
Activities Index

Find us on Facebook

Awesome treat recipe - grain concern (Feed & Nutrition)

by Heritage Hens @, Wednesday, August 23, 2017, 08:14 (114 days ago) @ BennieAndTheJets

This recipe sounds really good, especially during winter when the G's can't free range. A little costly if you have a large flock, but adaptable.

I have often wondered about feeding "human" grains to guineas, especially keets. I have given quinoa to keets that I have cooked. I have given it uncooked in small amounts but then read about certain grains that shouldn't be given to birds because it can expand in their stomachs and kill them. If you remember awhile back there was the warning not to throw rice at weddings because the birds ate it and died when the rice expanded in their crops.

Quinoa, millet, arantha , these grains are very small so perhaps it is why they can eat it uncooked.

I think quinoa has much more nutritional value than millet. I feed white proso millet to keets and adults as a treat and for training. I haven't used other grains lately. Getting too worried about them over eating something and having an exploding crop.

--
Heritage Hens Homestead

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread