Color Chart

Latest News

GFIA Articles &
Activities Index

Find us on Facebook

What I've read... (General Discussion)

by Barbara-NH @, Friday, November 24, 2017, 03:35 (23 days ago) @ ramdai

...suggests that all birds might be susceptible to toxic reactions to chocolate, especially dark chocolate, mainly because of the birds' size and fast metabolisms. I would worry about guineas since most are more "wild" or "hyper" than other domesticated birds, but I have not heard of any specific incidents involving guinea fowl.

The ingredient of concern seems to be theobromine, a compound found in greater quantities in the darker chocolates. It can initially cause digestive system problems and then disrupt the nervous system. First symptoms of toxicity are often hyperactivity followed by vomiting.

Complete thread:

 RSS Feed of thread

powered by my little forum