Guinea
Decals

Color Chart

GFIA
Latest News

GFIA Articles &
Activities Index

Find us on Facebook

img: Color of these two weird keets? (Breeding & Color ID)

by steve, Western Massachusetts, Tuesday, October 04, 2016, 23:29 (323 days ago)

Ok, maybe I'm just looking for trouble, but I think these two birds are not just normal pied gray or royal purple. They are intriguing to me, and I'm wondering if y'all have any experience with keets (3 weeks old) that look like this:

First, look at the (blurry) mostly white one towards the top of the picture, with color on its back. That color on its back appears to be mostly solid or creamy, not the mishmash of contrasting colors that young pearl gray or royal purple has. Is that just a pied-to-be, or is it something more exotic?

[image]

Next, look at this one that has a similar creamy color on its back, again not like a pearl gray or royal purple; but the top of its head looks more like a traditional pear gray keet. Maybe these are clear cut signs of something, and maybe I need to re-read those keet color charts online a few more times, but I am still confused about what kind of bird this or the one above might be.

[image]

I am really eager to figure this out! I guess I'm hoping I have some different colors so can start to tell some of my birds apart -- i have a mass of pieds right now, and it's a bit too much!

Hard to tell

by Barbara, Wednesday, October 05, 2016, 00:55 (323 days ago) @ steve

The pictures are a little too blurry to be able to see the head markings, but I think you might have some other colors (besides pied pearl gray and royal purple). If nothing else, the mostly white keet in the first photo looks to be a pinto, but I'm unsure about the base color. The bottom photo might possibly be a brown. It looks lighter than pearl gray to me.

You mean a full brown or pied?

by steve, Western Massachusetts, Wednesday, October 05, 2016, 00:58 (323 days ago) @ Barbara

Ooh, do you mean a full brown, or a pied?

I have really wanted some full browns. I have 2 chocolate, but the one brown keet I had last year didn't make it to adulthood.

I would think full

by Barbara, Wednesday, October 05, 2016, 01:12 (323 days ago) @ steve

If it is a brown, I don't think it would be pied. But, I'm not 100% sure it is brown. Are your pearl keets quite a bit darker than this keet?

Yes

by steve, Western Massachusetts, Wednesday, October 05, 2016, 01:16 (323 days ago) @ Barbara

Yes, I would say quite a bit darker than this, and with a pattern on their colored area. That's what made this one stand out -- how smooth and creamy the texture and color of that keet's back color is.

I looked at the picture of the brown vs. royal purple keet and it's not quite that big a difference, but my keet is almost that light.

The big difference is in the head stripes

by Barbara, Wednesday, October 05, 2016, 01:33 (323 days ago) @ steve

The brown keets will have a broad stripe down the middle and thin stripes on each side while the royal purple keets will have wavy or squiggly lines on the head. The backs of all the different varieties can vary. Some are boldly striped while others are more solid or somewhat mottled in color. What really matters is the head stripes and the overall tone of the coloring.

Not pied pearl or royal purple, but.....

by ZoeTX, Wednesday, October 05, 2016, 09:45 (323 days ago) @ Barbara

I'm not sure what they are. I'm with Barbara, I think they are in the brown family. Possibly a slate on one of them, but the pictures are fuzzy....getting good pictures of guineas is hard and especially with keets. LOL

RSS Feed of thread