Guinea
Decals

Color Chart

GFIA
Latest News

GFIA Articles &
Activities Index

Find us on Facebook

img: One more color confusion - is this keet white? (Breeding & Color ID)

by steve, Western Massachusetts, Tuesday, October 04, 2016, 23:43 (231 days ago)

Ok, I think this is the last questionable keet color I have. At first I assumed it was a white. As far as existing light birds, I have 2 white adult hens, and one buff dondette.

But as this bird has gotten bigger, I'm starting to wonder. It doesn't appear to have that little white dot on its head like all the white keets I've had. And If I look closely, the main body appears to not be quite white. Not beige like an ivory keet, more like an extremely extremely extremely pale version of the gray blue color of a pied coral blue -- almost like the picture I saw of an opaline keet.

I think you can see in these pictures how the wings are bright white, and you can sort of see how the rest of the body beneath the wings is slightly grayer. Is that just because the wings are newer feathers and the rest of the body is a bit dirty after 3 weeks of running around a coop -- so is it just white after all?

[image]

[image]

[image]

I think it looks white

by Barbara-NH, Wednesday, October 05, 2016, 01:03 (231 days ago) @ steve

Not all white keets have that little black dot on the back of their head, but often they do.

Thanks

by steve, Western Massachusetts, Wednesday, October 05, 2016, 01:22 (231 days ago) @ Barbara-NH

ok, thanks!

I'm happy with another white one. When I bought my first batch mail order 5 years ago, it came with more than 50% of them being white, so I was sick of them. But I only have two now, and I've grown to appreciate how pretty and unusual they are, and was thinking I could use another. And it's really funny to see this little bright white one among all the other dark colors.

Side note: One of my two white hens is the only one I have left from my original flock from 2011. I had a big loss that first year, and then the occasional big turnovers over the years that preserved most of the flock, but lost every other original bird I got. This one white hen, now 5.5 years old, somehow managed to survive every fox or hawk attack, every illness, and every predator attack that scattered the flock so even the survivors suffered losses from being out after dark. Don't know how she did it, but I'm very fond of her.

Aww... I would be fond of her, too

by Barbara-NH, Wednesday, October 05, 2016, 01:38 (231 days ago) @ steve

She sounds like a real survivor. I've heard that whites are usually the first to go, whether it be by predation or illness. It's nice to hear that isn't always the case. I hope she lives for many more years!

It is really hard to tell whites when they are so young

by ZoeTX, Wednesday, October 05, 2016, 09:19 (230 days ago) @ Barbara-NH

Like Barbara said, some whites do not have the black spot so that is not a certain marker. I think they are always white when they have the spot, but I also think this could be a mix between your buff and your white. Let us see pictures of her as she matures. It is great to have such a diverse flock and the white hen is a real survivor!

If it's not white...

by Barbara-NH, Wednesday, October 05, 2016, 14:42 (230 days ago) @ steve

..you should be able to see some faint markings or lines on the top of its head. They could be light gray or a light gold color. Zoe might be right about it being a buff/white combination. That would make it a pied buff, which could be rather hard to tell because the white feathers might look very similar to the buff feathers. Yes, please let us know how it feathers out.

One more color confusion - is this keet white?

by Syuzan VR, Monday, November 14, 2016, 03:05 (190 days ago) @ steve

ooh. So cute <3

--
Hello

RSS Feed of thread