Guinea
Decals

Color Chart

GFIA
Latest News

GFIA Articles &
Activities Index

Find us on Facebook

a horrible day..... (General Discussion)

by buckwheatkeet, Monday, October 10, 2016, 00:24 (407 days ago)

Hi everyone. I hate writing this, through my tears, but I thought you all should know. My guineas are gone. All 4 were killed in their coop. I found them this morning. We are not sure what got in. Perhaps a raccoon or a fox. There was a small spot up high in the wire that was bent. All of them were intact. No body parts missing, except a little off their breasts. There were lots of feathers everywhere. I am heartbroken. I loved my guineas so much and I will miss them terribly. We buried them next to Gunsmoke, under a cedar tree behind their coop. Now they are all together again. R.I.P. Tick g+p , Tock g:p , Tim g:r , Buck g:w , and Gunny g:b .

I am so very sorry...

by Barbara, Monday, October 10, 2016, 01:13 (407 days ago) @ buckwheatkeet

...and I am so very sad for your loss, buckwheatkeet. My heart goes out to you as you deal with this, and I will keep you in my prayers. Please take care.

OH! That's just AWFUL!!!

by ChrisCT, Monday, October 10, 2016, 09:52 (406 days ago) @ buckwheatkeet

I can't imagine what it would be like to go to the coop in the morning and finding all you birds were killed during the night.

Sorry to hear such a thing happened to you... :-(

a horrible day.....

by BennieAndTheJets, Monday, October 10, 2016, 11:55 (406 days ago) @ buckwheatkeet

A horrible day, indeed!

I still can't believe it!

You were so fond of them, and indeed so was I, through your stories about them online and in our newsletter.

I am so sorry for your terrible loss, buckwheatkeet, and so sorry for your Guineas.

I am thinking of you. :a: :a: :v: :a: :a:

a horrible day.....

by ZoeTX, Wednesday, October 12, 2016, 00:03 (405 days ago) @ buckwheatkeet

Buckwheatkeet, I'm so very sorry for your tragic loss. I've had a similar experience and understand how devastating it can be. I hope that you will treasure the good times and let this horrible day fade from your memory as you recall each of your guineas with fondness. I will say a prayer for you. Hugs to you.

a horrible day.....

by buckwheatkeet, Thursday, October 13, 2016, 16:17 (403 days ago) @ ZoeTX

Thank you everyone for the kind words. I miss them so much. They were so funny and personable. This is so very hard. I still cry. I miss them calling to me and the sweet sounds they made. I have a question that I hope you all can help me with..... We have had a live animal trap and a game cam in the coop, since their deaths, and nothing... until today. The food was eaten. The trap never went off. and on the cam was a lone possum. Is it possible a possum killed 4 adult guineas? I want so badly to catch the killer, but I don't want to harm or relocate the wrong thing. It may have just smelled the food and came in for that reason. I know it will never be possible to know for sure, but does anyone have any ideas on what could have killed 4 adult guineas? There was only one small section, where the wire was bent up and no hair on or around it. There was very little blood. There were no missing body parts. Only some meat missing from the breasts of 2 of them.
We live on 10 acres with lots of wildlife. The animals we have seen around recently are: a red fox, a grey fox, a raccoon, a skunk, 2 fat groundhogs, numerous squirrels, rabbits, and deer, hawks, and owls. Oh, and a barn cat that adopted us. The killer would have had to come in by going around plastic and bending chicken wire. We had the guineas for 4 years. When this first happened I had wanted to catch it and slowly torture it, but I am too softhearted to harm anything. I was sure it would come back that very night, but last night was the first time the cam caught anything and the first time the food was eaten. Any thoughts/ideas would be welcome. Thanks, buckwheatkeet.

a horrible day.....

by ZoeTX, Thursday, October 13, 2016, 17:11 (403 days ago) @ buckwheatkeet

I think probably not the cat because of the bent wire. I think not the hawk because they usually hunt during daylight hours and they usually eat more than a few bites of their kill.

Lack of blood indicates that they were probably dead when bitten. Do you have weasels or minks? I think that they might kill that way.

Hope others can give you a better answer.

I wish I knew

by ChrisCT, Thursday, October 13, 2016, 19:31 (403 days ago) @ buckwheatkeet

When a coyote took two of my birds I built a tree stand, bought a chicken at the grocery store, put my birds feathers on it, placed it in the field where they were taken. I sat in that tree, read books in that tree, for hour after hour, all the time with a 12ga in my lap. I never saw him,,,, it was very dissatisfactory...

I feel your pain

I think there could be a few possibilities

by Barbara, Thursday, October 13, 2016, 23:21 (403 days ago) @ buckwheatkeet

But, I think the most likely culprit would be the raccoon.

Raccoons are masters at opening latches and moving wire to gain entry into caged areas. They will take all of the birds that they can if given the chance. I also understand that they are known to bite at the neck and feed at the crop and sometimes the breast. Sorry to say, all of that seems to fit the description of what happened to your birds.

Possums do kill poultry, but they aren't known for killing adult birds. Usually a possum will go after eggs or babies. Occasionally they will kill an adult, but it's usually only one, so I think taking all four of your birds would be rather unlikely. Also, I believe possums are opportunists. Finding the food you left out would be more typical of their behavior.

I would also consider a mink or a weasel if you have them where you are.

I think there could be a few possibilities

by service1010, Tucson AZ, Saturday, October 15, 2016, 08:34 (401 days ago) @ Barbara

How horrid. I can only imagine your pain. We love 'em like they are our kids - actually, they are our feathered children. Prayers that you are not beating yourself up; it was not your fault. Hoping you replace the sad memories with happy ones

a horrible day.....

by BennieAndTheJets, Saturday, October 22, 2016, 15:48 (394 days ago) @ buckwheatkeet

My first thought was Racoon!

A fox would carry one bird away and come for another the next night - skunks eat eggs and possum are opportunists - the raccoon is known as a terrible killer who will kill everyone in the coop and eat breast meat only in some cases - this is what I heard

here are some links for more info:

http://ouroneacrefarm.com/poultry-predator-identification-a-guide-to-tracks-and-sign/

http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/18670/poultry-predator-identification

I'm so sorry, buckwheatkeet, I really am - I miss your birds, too

a horrible day.....

by deedles, Sunday, November 13, 2016, 13:52 (372 days ago) @ BennieAndTheJets

Oh! I just read this and how awful and I'm so, so sorry for this happening. Stupid nature, leave our guinea birds alone.

Will you get more eventually?

a horrible day.....

by buckwheatkeet, Monday, November 14, 2016, 17:28 (371 days ago) @ deedles

Thanks for your kind words deedles. I miss my guineas terribly. I'm not sure if I'll get more or not. Perhaps one day, because I do love guineas so much. If I do get more, I would also like to get some chickens too. But not for awhile. :-)

g+p :a: g:f

RSS Feed of thread