Guinea
Decals

Color Chart

GFIA
Latest News

GFIA Articles &
Activities Index

Find us on Facebook

img: Need help - bloody mass found (General Discussion)

by BennieAndTheJets, Wednesday, November 02, 2016, 19:08 (202 days ago)
edited by BennieAndTheJets, Wednesday, November 02, 2016, 19:11

Please help if you can - I found this in the coop today under the roosting bars with the poo - it is a bloody, fleshy looking mass

could it be coccidiosis? a shed piece of intestine? a tumor? something coughed up?

some birds look shabby - been treating with Fenbendazole for Gapeworm for three days (last day was Monday - Tuesday Nov 1 first day off the stuff again - two days ago)

we still have the feather mites and I attributed the shabby shape of some birds to that

worried it may be something else

any ideas? Please let me know

[image]

[image]

[image]

I'm no help...

by Barbara-NH, Wednesday, November 02, 2016, 19:45 (202 days ago) @ BennieAndTheJets

I have no idea what that could be or which end it would have come out of. Could your guineas have eaten the insides of some animal? I don't think it would signify coccidiosis, and I doubt it is a tumor that could have been dislodged. Truly a mystery to me. Do you have any cats that could have coughed something like that up? Certainly icky no matter where it came from!

I'm no help...

by BennieAndTheJets, Wednesday, November 02, 2016, 20:08 (202 days ago) @ Barbara-NH

Thank you so much for your response anyway, Barbara!

This is still my Guinea family here! it means a lot to me to know you and our other members

out of urgency I also posted on backyardchickens.com, under general disease not just Guinea Fowl and there are so many members that I got a response

those gals and guys are great, too, and much appreciated as well

here is what we discussed there: lash egg?

http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1140303/need-help-bloody-mass-found-in-coop-pictures-included#post_17711700

Could be

by Barbara-NH, Thursday, November 03, 2016, 00:36 (202 days ago) @ BennieAndTheJets

Although it doesn't really look like the pictures of lash eggs that I looked at. Gosh, I hope that's not what it is.

Thinking on this some more

by Barbara-NH, Thursday, November 03, 2016, 11:55 (201 days ago) @ BennieAndTheJets

I'm wondering if this might be a dropping coming from the ceca. I can't imagine that all of that "debris" would have passed through the reproductive tract, unless not all of it did. Maybe just the fleshy part did, and the other things (green goo and grass, etc.) were added in at the end where the reproductive tract and the digestive tract meet? Or maybe all of it came through the digestive tract?

Were you able to find out anything from the vet? I sure hope you there's an effective treatment for whatever is going on.

Thinking on this some more

by BennieAndTheJets, Thursday, November 03, 2016, 13:28 (201 days ago) @ Barbara-NH

Thanks, Barbara.

I think the other stuff was picked up when it fell into the bedding. Looked like a perfectly clean bloody mass to me, sitting in the other poo.

No luck with the vets locally - it is really frustrating again - I'll keep trying

What's inside I wonder???

by ChrisCT, Friday, November 04, 2016, 09:42 (200 days ago) @ BennieAndTheJets

Maybe if you washed it off and sliced it in two with a razor blade you'd get a clue as to what it's made up of...

What's inside I wonder???

by BennieAndTheJets, Friday, November 04, 2016, 12:25 (200 days ago) @ ChrisCT

Good idea - I am taking it to a vet at 4 pm - may suggest that to them and try to watch

it does not look like an egg or even anything pussy - like some of the lash egg photos I have seen

it is just pink and bloody (hope it is still ok to examine - was in fridge until I could fins a vet)

Update

by BennieAndTheJets, Sunday, November 06, 2016, 12:51 (198 days ago) @ BennieAndTheJets
edited by BennieAndTheJets, Sunday, November 06, 2016, 12:55

vet said it may be a sloughed off tumor or polyp

does not look like a lash egg to him

no action, other then watch and wait

I am gett'n a little tired of vets being quick to suggest euthanasia and necropsy - need to be more direct next time and ask them if they suggest that to owners of multiple dogs or cats, too: let's kill and dissect this one to possibly reduce the chances of infecting the others, in case it may be contagious - wonder what faces the other pet owners would make

I know we eat chicken but not dog in this country, but still, I am going to an exotics vet not a butcher shop!

:-/

Two vets wanted to kill Pinchy back then and she is still alive and well, thank you kindly!

Thanks for the update

by Barbara-NH, Sunday, November 06, 2016, 23:40 (198 days ago) @ BennieAndTheJets

I hope all of your guineas live very long lives and this latest incident doesn't turn out to be anything worth remembering. I understand your frustration with the vets' recommendations. Guess they don't really know what it's like to love a guinea fowl. We are so lucky that we do!

Thanks for the update

by buckwheatkeet, Monday, November 07, 2016, 18:35 (197 days ago) @ Barbara-NH

I agree. Its terrible for a veterinarian to behave like that. I'm glad you found out what it was Bennie. And I'm glad Pinchy and your other birds are doing okay! Hopefully they won't ever have an issue like that again!f:b

RSS Feed of thread