Guinea
Decals

Color Chart

GFIA
Latest News

GFIA Articles &
Activities Index

Find us on Facebook

sick guinea help needed (Diseases & Injuries)

by guineamom, Tuesday, November 08, 2016, 13:54 (110 days ago)

Hi all. I have a guinea that is lethargic - walking slowly, doesn't appear to be eating well (I put millet down at bedtime last night, and she looked at it like she wanted to peck it, but didn't). She did drink. Might be a little paler than normal. Is left behind from the flock or chooses to be. Was resting inside the coop this morning when I let everyone else out -- lying down on chips not roosting. Now, she's out walking, but slowly. Egg laying is over for the season.

We lost a bird suddenly a month or so ago -- seemed fine and then was dead in the yard with no apparent injury.

What do you think? We don't have a good bird vet around here.

Thanks for any help/ideas you can give!

Anne

Sorry to say I don't know

by Barbara-NH, Wednesday, November 09, 2016, 00:34 (110 days ago) @ guineamom

It sounds like it could be anything. How old is the guinea? What do the droppings look like? Could the crop be impacted? Have your guineas been treated for worms?

When my guineas got "old," they would act that way a few days before they died. But, I have also treated a couple of guineas that were acting like that, and they did recover.

Without any additional symptoms, it's very hard to recommend a treatment. You might want to start with a dewormer if your birds haven't been wormed recently.

I'm sorry your guinea isn't well.

RSS Feed of thread