Guinea
Decals

Color Chart

GFIA
Latest News

GFIA Articles &
Activities Index

Find us on Facebook

Another call for help - sick Guinea (Diseases & Injuries)

by BennieAndTheJets, Saturday, November 12, 2016, 20:48 (228 days ago)

Blue is razor thin - just found out today when I picked everyone up to worm them

He is totally wasted away under those beautiful feathers of his

his beak is long, too - too long

and I noticed the other day that he moves very fast, from place to place, where he would usually have been a very confident, deliberate bird

it is almost as if he is hectic

the vet did not find any parasites in our fecal float, even though I can't say for sure that his poo was in there - it was just to check the flock

also, I do see him eating millet at treat time

he was free ranging today and seems to keep up with the flock and pick at grasses, but I can tell he is not as free as normal (head posture)

he is very dear to us - please let me know if you have any ideas what could be wrong with him or what I could do to save him!!!

he is so thin, it scares me

Thank you!

Can you trim his beak?

by Barbara-NH @, Saturday, November 12, 2016, 23:15 (228 days ago) @ BennieAndTheJets

I noticed when my guineas had longer beaks they would have trouble eating and picking up seeds and bugs. Whenever we trimmed their beaks, it would make a huge difference in how well they were able to eat. Worth a try anyway.

It does sound like Blue may have an issue with his nervous system. That does happen if their diet is either deficient or they are having trouble absorbing nutrients. It also can happen if the bird is stressed. If Blue has been taken down a notch in the pecking order, he could be feeling frustrated, and I imagine that could lead to weight loss due to constant nervousness. Just throwing out some of my thoughts. Sorry, but I really don't know what could be happening with him.

I'm not sure what I would do other than to offer him vitamins/electrolytes and as much high quality food as he will eat, especially some higher protein, as I've heard that it is important that birds (and mammals, too) get enough protein after a molt or a period of shedding. Otherwise the body may take the protein it needs for regrowth of feathers or fur from its muscles.

Thank you, Barbara

by BennieAndTheJets, Sunday, November 13, 2016, 01:06 (228 days ago) @ Barbara-NH

Yes, I will try some meal worms tomorrow

got to get them sorted out

the shipment I got was in newspaper, eating the paper and toxic ink with big back and red photos - not something I want them to eat

but I got a few left from my old colony - on organic wheat germ

the beak is not that long, but I noticed it

really wonder what is going on with him

I so wish I had an answer for all of the problems that guineas can face

by Barbara-NH @, Sunday, November 13, 2016, 11:31 (227 days ago) @ BennieAndTheJets

Thankfully, most guinea fowl seem to encounter fewer health problems than most other poultry - although that is small consolation when one of our pet guineas becomes ill. Guineas, having a closer connection with their ancestors, seem to have stronger immune systems. When they do get sick, it seems to me that stress is often the root cause. Guineas do get stressed more easily than other poultry, which is a characteristic of a wild bird. Perhaps bolstering their immune systems is the best we can do to help them, but what do we need to do to do that? I know diet is important as well as stress reduction (if that's even possible with guineas).

Good point

by BennieAndTheJets, Sunday, November 13, 2016, 21:41 (227 days ago) @ Barbara-NH

Blue did eat twice today when I was there - I got him to eat a bunch of meal worms

and her went out to free range

and he was quite nasty to another bird tonight, so maybe feeling better?

(he was defending his special food bowl)

I am happy that he did eat. :)

Love this little guy g:b :a:

Good point

by buckwheatkeet, Monday, November 14, 2016, 17:43 (226 days ago) @ BennieAndTheJets

Bennie, I'm so glad he seems to be feeling better. Wanted to share what I used to give my guineas. I know how much they love millet, and if they were not feeling well, I would give them "molting & conditioning supplement" as a treat. It smells like black licorice (yuck!) but they seemed to really like it. It's Wild Harvest by 8 in 1 brand and is mostly white proso millet, but it has protein, calcium, and vitamins. Its supposed to be good for stressed birds. They preferred the parakeet one, but would eat the cockatiel one too. Its only an 8oz pouch, but was only like $1.50 at walmart. I hope this helps!:a:

img: yes! Thank you, buckwheatkeet!

by BennieAndTheJets, Tuesday, November 15, 2016, 00:09 (226 days ago) @ buckwheatkeet

I will get some tomorrow and try it

he is even thinner now, I think

I am really afraid for him

I cut his beak tonight and filed it a little - it does look like maybe he had trouble scooping up the food into the lower beak because the upper beak is too long - I only trimmed the upper beak, of course

he did seem to eat a lot afterwards - I got him some meal worms again and millet mixed with regular food

but he has eaten some yesterday, even with the longer beak - but still getting thinner

he is drinking, I think

Also, I wonder how it got to grow so long - maybe he was sick for a while and not eating, hence not wearing it off? and now it was too long to use?

here are some before pictures:

[image]

[image]

[image]

Thank you, buckwheatkeet!

by buckwheatkeet, Tuesday, November 15, 2016, 19:53 (225 days ago) @ BennieAndTheJets

He is so handsome! Who's the cutie peeking out behind him in the 1st pic? :a:

=} I think that's Kayleigh!

by BennieAndTheJets, Tuesday, November 15, 2016, 22:23 (225 days ago) @ buckwheatkeet

- No text -

Oh my... His beak was long!

by Barbara-NH @, Wednesday, November 16, 2016, 00:16 (225 days ago) @ BennieAndTheJets

It looks about the same as what my Ranger (coral blue) had when he was having trouble eating. I hope trimming it makes a difference.f:b

What kind of baby food is safe to give?

by BennieAndTheJets, Tuesday, November 15, 2016, 00:14 (226 days ago) @ BennieAndTheJets

Have you ever fed sick Guineas baby food?

If so, what brand and flavor??

I think I'd like to try that tomorrow also, together with the feed buckwheatkeet suggested - and some bird vitamins and probiotics, I can find them at the store

he desperately needs some help / nourishment

I really hope he makes it

I put a heat lamp out for him, too, because he is so thin

he still looks normal but when I pick him up, it is all feathers and skin and bones :-(

by buckwheatkeet, Tuesday, November 15, 2016, 19:41 (225 days ago) @ BennieAndTheJets

I've never offered canned baby food to my birds, but have given it to sick cats and dogs in the past. The only thing the vet told me was to make sure it did not have garlic or onion in it. That would be for the meat variety of course. Maybe you could try a meat, a fruit, and a veggie one to see if he likes any of them. Perhaps the dry rice cereal for babies that you mix with water? Another thing I used for my guineas was Poultry Nutri-Drench mixed in their water. It says on the label "Rapid, Rich Nutritional Supplement For All Classes Of Poultry". Its a 4oz. bottle with a yellow and white label and an eyedropper lid. I got it at Tractor Supply. I used to thaw frozen corn or peas (they preferred the corn) under hot water, drain it and put vitamin E on it. (also works good on watermelon) I put a little apple cider vinegar in their water too. (not everything at one time though of course). I hope some of this is helpful for you Bennie and I really hope Blue will be ok!

by buckwheatkeet, Tuesday, November 15, 2016, 19:50 (225 days ago) @ buckwheatkeet

Another thought..... I wonder if baby bird hand feeding formula for parrots would work? You mix it with water to form a gruel. Perhaps he'd eat that? Guineas are so picky though. Anything soft like that or the baby food, I would offer to him, free form if he will eat it. I would not try to make him take any food from a dropper or syringe, because if it goes down the wrong way, he will choke.

Thank you so much, buckwheatkeet!

by BennieAndTheJets, Tuesday, November 15, 2016, 22:28 (225 days ago) @ buckwheatkeet

He is still alive but not better

I laid in the coop on my stomach for one hour today with a heat lamp on him and food in front of him

Romaine lettuce with vitamin powder and millet and broiler mash and meal worms - he is sooo picky but did eat a lot of the millet and some meal worms

if he were healthy the lettuce would be gone, but he does not touch it

mostly pecks and looks at the food without eating any

that's why I put him in a cage, so he can take his time

he is out with the others again now

if fact, I will go down and boil him another egg and put some yolk in his beak - did that once today - someone said "egg = bird baby food"

I really hope it will work

got two heat lamps on now, but may turn one off to make it darker for the rest of the night

I hope he's feeling better

by Barbara-NH @, Tuesday, November 22, 2016, 02:40 (218 days ago) @ BennieAndTheJets

Has there been any change? Mine would never eat boiled egg, but they would usually peck at eggs if they were scrambled (no salt or milk, just a little water added to the raw egg before stirring it in a frying pan).

Me Too!

by buckwheatkeet, Tuesday, November 22, 2016, 23:35 (218 days ago) @ Barbara-NH

- No text -

Thank you, both!

by BennieAndTheJets, Wednesday, November 23, 2016, 14:55 (217 days ago) @ buckwheatkeet

He's still around and he is actually looking now when I come with the silver dish

Silver dish hold nut-and-fruit-mix and the 8-in-1 molting help, you suggested buckheatkeet, from Walmart, and meal worms and vitamin powder

and he get locked up with that (which he does not like) for a couple of hours because he eats very very slowly and would not get any if the others could cut in

he still does not eat normally on his own but I am hoping he will make it

thanks for thinking of us!

So glad to hear Bennie!

by buckwheatkeet, Wednesday, November 23, 2016, 18:29 (217 days ago) @ BennieAndTheJets

I've been worried and thinking of you. I'm so glad he's eating. I hope he continues to do well.

I never had much luck feeding my guineas anything new

by Barbara-NH @, Wednesday, November 16, 2016, 00:24 (225 days ago) @ BennieAndTheJets

However, I remember mine eating yogurt, scrambled eggs, and a little bit of baby cereal. I had much better luck feeding my chickens foods that they hadn't eaten before. One of my chickens used to eat Gerber baby cereal. Her favorite was whole grains and sweet potatoes, if I remember right. None of my birds would eat the meat baby food.

Bird Emergency Food

by BennieAndTheJets, Monday, December 05, 2016, 01:01 (206 days ago) @ BennieAndTheJets
edited by BennieAndTheJets, Monday, December 05, 2016, 11:47

Blue continues to decline

took him to the vet on Thursday and got him on a supplement and antibiotics now - but we don't know what is wrong -blood work results by Monday

still, he is thin as wire now - even thinner than a stick - and was not eating

so I called the vet Friday and they have a bird emergency formula but they are 2 hours away and told me I could use Kaytee Exact Hand Feeding Formula Baby Bird Food which I could get at a pet shop

got some at PetSmart and fed him about 3 cc three times a day on Saturday - today 6 cc three times a day - this morning he made a clear liquid poo (probably from the vet's supplement since that is supposed to transport toxins out) and this afternoon a tiny normal poo

I usually don't mess with nature but could not let this go any longer - putting the baby bird formula in his beak - under strong protest - but he does swallow it on his own once I get it in there

hope I am not hurting him more than I am helping - but I did not think I could wait anymore - he is starving to death on his own - looks and pecks at food but does not eat it, except a small amount of millet

no idea what happened to him - so sad and still worried, of course

hoping the baby bird formula will give him some nutrients and calories, but not sure if that is enough to turn around whatever he has

Keep us in your prayers

thought you might want to know about the baby bird hand-feeding formula - the vet said human baby food is hard for them to digest - this is better - it is a powder and I mis a little with warm water to make a paste and squeeze that into the side of his beak with a tiny syringe without the needle, of course

he has a heat lamp on - hope that is enough - hate to bring him into the house and away from his home and flock - don't think he'd like that

he goes out free ranging with the flock - gets upset if I try to keep him locked in the coop - wants to go out - but runs with his head very low and tucked in - too weak to carry his neck high - he still pecks at others and holds his place

he used to be one of the strongest and finest in the flock - I really hope he makes it and comes back ok

any ideas welcome! please help if you have an idea

I wish I could help

by Barbara-NH @, Monday, December 05, 2016, 03:26 (205 days ago) @ BennieAndTheJets

.. but I have no new ideas. I'm sorry to hear Blue isn't doing well, but it sounds like you are doing everything possible to help him get better.

I am praying for you and Blue, and I really hope the blood test results will reveal something that can be treated (and cured).

Thanks for the information about the baby bird food. It's good to know what a vet would recommend in situations like this.

Thanks, Barbara - just good to know you are there for us!

by BennieAndTheJets, Monday, December 05, 2016, 11:44 (205 days ago) @ Barbara-NH

- No text -

It's called Kaytee Exact Hand Feeding Formula Baby Bird Food

by BennieAndTheJets, Monday, December 05, 2016, 11:43 (205 days ago) @ BennieAndTheJets
edited by BennieAndTheJets, Monday, December 05, 2016, 11:46

RSS Feed of thread