Guinea
Decals

Color Chart

GFIA
Latest News

GFIA Articles &
Activities Index

Find us on Facebook

Poisoning from Hard Wire cloth? (Diseases & Injuries)

by BennieAndTheJets, Monday, December 05, 2016, 14:29 (374 days ago)

Anyone heard if hard wire cloth can be toxic to the birds?

ours has been outside for 4 years now and they do pull on it with their beaks

I think it does have a whitish coating from corrosion now

Zinc?

I remember hearing something about that

by Barbara, Monday, December 05, 2016, 18:11 (374 days ago) @ BennieAndTheJets

But, I wasn't sure of the specifics, so I did a little research. Apparently, galvanized hardware cloth can have little bits of zinc that can cause problems if broken off and eaten. I don't know how much would be harmful for a full-grown guinea, though, or if just biting at the wire would be problematic. I did find an article about heavy metal poisoning in poultry that was written by "Fresh Eggs Daily" author Lisa Steele. She mentions not using wire that is galvanized. Here's a link to the article: http://www.fresheggsdaily.com/2015/07/preventing-hardware-disease-heavy-metal.html

Shee-sh - it's hard to know what to use then!

by BennieAndTheJets, Monday, December 05, 2016, 23:43 (374 days ago) @ Barbara

The hard wire cloth has kept the predators out so far

what else is there?

any recommendations?

I am thinking I will have to double fence - plastic on the inside and hardwire cloth on the outside

then there is a space in between that will get filthy - what a pain in the neck!

they'll check for zinc in Blue's blood - it's all expensive, but I need to know if he has Zinc poisoning to save the whole flock from that, if that is what it is :-(

Sorry, but I don't know

by Barbara, Tuesday, December 06, 2016, 00:16 (374 days ago) @ BennieAndTheJets

I'm having a hard time thinking guineas could be poisoned by any type of wire. They might peck at it, but I can't see how they could consume enough to make a difference.

When are you expecting results of the blood testing?

Zinc level was normal

by BennieAndTheJets, Wednesday, December 14, 2016, 17:22 (365 days ago) @ Barbara

Back to the drawing board

Carl said Round-up could be a problem - and today I looked at the fence line and our neighbors' fertilizer and chemicals (they even treat their entire lawn for ticks with pesticide) definitely runs down the hill to us when it rains - the run-off area is very green, everything else around it is brown

I wonder if the Guineas snack too much on that green and if it contains all the toxins they spray?

but we also have more mice just now - it could be they got germs from the mice?

I just don't know

At least that's good to know (about the zinc level)

by Barbara, Wednesday, December 14, 2016, 23:27 (365 days ago) @ BennieAndTheJets

Every bit of positive news eliminates that possibility. But, the mystery continues. I do wonder about the run-off from your neighbor's lawn, yet wouldn't all of your guineas be sick?

RSS Feed of thread