Guinea
Decals

Color Chart

GFIA
Latest News

GFIA Articles &
Activities Index

Find us on Facebook

Blue seems better but Speedy Socks is dead (General Discussion)

by BennieAndTheJets, Friday, December 23, 2016, 18:18 (120 days ago)

We had a few poles put in behind the coop for the dog pen and the new run and there was extreme noise and pounding and I totally forgot the Guineas

let them out into the run immediately when I realized it - Speedy Socks was dead on the floor when I checked again a few minutes later

it may have been a heart attack or extreme stress from the machine getting so close while they were in the coop

can't do a necropsy now - everyone gone for Christmas

will bury him tomorrow - so sad, and sorry if he was frightened to death - I totally dropped the ball and don't even know why - I am usually so careful around the coop - was very distracted and tired from two days of contractor work and just thought they were safe in the coop for the moment - I am so sorry

the others seem all fine - though they were upset for a moment, too

Blue is a bit better, even though I did not get to his twice a day feeding with all the work around here going on - he is still getting antibiotic shots - maybe it is helping - he is still thin as a rail but had some small normal looking poops finally, and holding his head a little higher

RIP Speedy Socks! He was our biggest Guinea male and very self confident - I will miss him

I'm very sorry you lost him, Bennie

by Barbara-NH, Saturday, December 24, 2016, 02:04 (120 days ago) @ BennieAndTheJets

It's always a sad day whenever any of our guineas passes on. It seems to me that the biggest, and often the most active guineas are often among the first to go. Please don't be so hard on yourself. It's very possible that nothing you did (or didn't do) had anything to do with his demise. Heart attacks do happen, and there really isn't any way to predict when or why they do. But, it is sad, and I feel for you and your flock. I'm hoping that 2017 will be a much better year for all of you and that your wonderful new guardians will help to ease your concerns about keeping your guineas safe from predators. I'm so sorry about Speedy Socks. :v:

Oh... But I am happy to hear that Blue is doing better!

by Barbara-NH, Saturday, December 24, 2016, 02:05 (120 days ago) @ Barbara-NH

You must be doing something right!

Thank you so much, Barbara!

by BennieAndTheJets, Wednesday, December 28, 2016, 03:22 (116 days ago) @ Barbara-NH

Yeah - Blue is worse again, but we are all hanging in there - all who are still around

seems like I have to feed him 2-3 times a day or he loses weight terribly

not what I had in mind - I thought he would pick up eating on his own again

will do what I can for him and still hope for the best

lots going on at the moment

hope all is well with you'all

How is Blue Socks Doing?

by Heritage Hens @, Friday, February 17, 2017, 17:42 (64 days ago) @ BennieAndTheJets

Bennie, do you have an update on Blue to share with us?

RIP prayers for Socks. Often people think that because we have a "flock" that its just a passel of birds. No way! Each one is our baby and we grieve for each one with all our heart.

We all have had experiences when life interrupted our passionate devotion to our G's and then something happens. Guilt is ok if we intentionally treat our feathered family poorly and neglect our duties to them. Sorrow is part of healing and the greater the sorrow the greater was the meaning of that individual, precious creature to us. The way I have had to look at it is that while they were with us they had the best quality of life, even better than some human children, sad to say.

:a:

--
Heritage Hens Homestead

Blue seems better but Speedy Socks is dead

by buckwheatkeet, Thursday, January 05, 2017, 23:23 (107 days ago) @ BennieAndTheJets

I'm so sorry to read about Speedy Socks Bennie. I wish our pets could all live forever. I miss my guineas so much. I hope Blue is still doing better.
R.I.P Speedy Socks. :v:

RSS Feed of thread