Guinea
Decals

Color Chart

GFIA
Latest News

GFIA Articles &
Activities Index

Find us on Facebook

img: Large bump on top of foot (Diseases & Injuries)

by blkerrick, Wednesday, January 11, 2017, 15:07 (109 days ago)

Our guinea has been limping for a little while, but we didn't see anything until a week or so ago. We thought it was bumblefoot. [image]
Please see picture. It doesn't seem to be bumblefoot, but we did open up the bottom of the foot and took out what seemed to be a plug, but no pus or sign of infection was found. We have it wrapped with Vetwrap and antibiotic ointment, but does anybody have any idea if this is bumblefoot, and if it is, should we incise the top of the foot also? Thank you.

I don't know if it is bumblefoot, but it could be

by Barbara-NH, Thursday, January 12, 2017, 01:31 (108 days ago) @ blkerrick

It sure looks swollen (and painful). I do know that infections in birds don't appear the same as what we see in humans. They may begin as a pus filled sore, but as the infection brews, it will harden into a firm core. Sounds like that's what you removed from your bird's foot. If the infection has spread throughout the foot, you will probably need to treat it with more than an ointment that cannot penetrate deep enough to completely eradicate the bacteria. I was once told to try LS-100 (Lincomycin-Spectinomycin administered in water) for a serious foot infection when I had a guinea that walked with a limp and had a swollen foot. I don't know if that medication is still available over the counter at feed supply stores, but it worked to reduce the swelling in my guinea. However, that was almost 10 years ago, and I know that some antibiotics have been taken off the shelf lately.

I'm sorry I cannot offer any advice as to whether you should try to remove a bacterial plug from the top of the foot (if it is there). I really don't know if it would help. I hope you can get a more educated opinion about the best way to treat this problem.

I don't know if it is bumblefoot, but it could be

by blkerrick, Monday, January 16, 2017, 09:23 (104 days ago) @ Barbara-NH

Thank you for the information on the antibiotic. We're certainly going to try it.

Good luck!

by Barbara-NH, Tuesday, January 17, 2017, 00:08 (103 days ago) @ blkerrick

- No text -

RSS Feed of thread