Decals

Color Chart

GFIA
Latest News

GFIA Articles &
Activities Index

Find us on Facebook

Lone Guinea (General Discussion)

by service1010, Tucson AZ, Friday, April 14, 2017, 09:38 (16 days ago)

Not a problem for me now, but my 4 guinea fowl are about 5 years old. This got me to thinking 'how do I make it good for a single remaining guinea?'

I will not be getting any more guinea fowl once these guys take their last breaths. And I believe they are herd animals.

How do you keep a single guinea from being stressed?

PS It seems like my guineas might not lay eggs this year (1 male/3 female). Hoping they do not. They aren't pairing up or going too far from the coop. Also, they go into the coop, at night, very easily (in fact, they ask to go in early!)

Thanks

Good question

by Barbara-NH, Friday, April 14, 2017, 22:05 (15 days ago) @ service1010

My experience with one lone guinea was pretty sad. He wasn't "alone" because we had a few chickens at the time, but it was obvious that he was craving the companionship of the guinea flock he had been a part of for the previous 10+ years. He was definitely stressed. I don't know of any way to prevent that other than possibly rehoming the guinea to somebody who has a guinea flock. I suppose if he had been a female it might have been a little different. I think males are more stressed to be without other guineas than females are.

All of my four females laid eggs for at least 6 years (6, 8, 9, and 10 to be precise), so I wouldn't be surprised if your girls laid at least a few eggs this season. You will see them reduce the number of eggs they lay as they get older, but 5 seems a little early for them to stop completely. It's possible that could be the case, but I'm thinking maybe not this year.

Good question

by service1010, Tucson AZ, Saturday, April 15, 2017, 10:02 (15 days ago) @ Barbara-NH

Thank you. Your response is very helpful

Sad to read the forum is going away..... I appreciate your checking to see if there was a question posted!

No problem! I'm hoping we will still have a forum on this website.

by Barbara-NH, Sunday, April 16, 2017, 15:22 (14 days ago) @ service1010

- No text -

Good question

by ZoeTX, Monday, April 17, 2017, 15:50 (13 days ago) @ service1010

They really love company and hate to be alone, even when they are tiny keets. Probably rehoming the final guy would be the best idea. Sorry.

Good question

by service1010, Tucson AZ, Wednesday, April 19, 2017, 08:41 (11 days ago) @ ZoeTX

Thanks. HOpefully, there will be a family for her!

RSS Feed of thread