Guinea
Decals

Color Chart

GFIA
Latest News

GFIA Articles &
Activities Index

Find us on Facebook

Confused about humidity levels (Incubation & Brooding)

by domerdoc, Sunday, April 16, 2017, 09:36 (73 days ago)

I've owned guineas before but I'm incubating them for the first time. I've read in various places that 50% humidity is ideal and other places say 65% is ideal until day 25. And yet I've read that dry incubating is very successful. I have a forced air Brinsea 20 with a humidity pump so I can be very accurate with the temperature and RH levels. My problem is that I can't find consistent information about the humidity level. Can anyone please help me with the humidity level please?

According to Jane Smith...

by Barbara-NH @, Sunday, April 16, 2017, 14:32 (73 days ago) @ domerdoc

...in Section 11 of her article found on this website and titled "Setting Up Your Incubator":

"...you should aim to run your incubator at about 55-60% humidity from setting until internal pip, and then crank it up pretty high for hatching..."

Jane's advice fits right in the middle of the recommendations you've seen elsewhere. I've never incubated guinea fowl eggs, so I can't offer any first-hand advice, but that seems like a sensible approach to me. I'm going to ask some of our members who post on our Facebook group page to offer their opinions on humidity levels for successful hatching. Hopefully, you'll get a few more knowledgeable replies to your post before too long.

According to Jane Smith...

by domerdoc, Sunday, April 16, 2017, 14:37 (73 days ago) @ Barbara-NH

Thank you. I'd love to hear a few more opinions.

I've posted a link to your question on our FB group page

by Barbara-NH @, Sunday, April 16, 2017, 14:44 (73 days ago) @ domerdoc

Hopefully somebody with the proper knowledge will follow the link and can help you out. :-)

img: Confused about humidity levels

by CarlNC @, Raleigh NC, Sunday, April 16, 2017, 14:45 (73 days ago) @ domerdoc

I hatch about 2500 a year with an inconsistent 45 to 55% [image]

Confused about humidity levels

by ZoeTX, Monday, April 17, 2017, 15:46 (72 days ago) @ CarlNC

I usually try to maintain 55 per cent until day 25 then I kick it up to 75%. If it is too high in the beginning, it is possible to drown the keets. YIKES!!

Good luck.

A reply from one of our Facebook Group members

by Barbara-NH @, Monday, April 17, 2017, 21:05 (72 days ago) @ domerdoc

Carol Durham posted:

"I live in a dry climate. If you live in a dry climate, dry incubation is not recommended. I raised turkeys before I raised guinea. Porters Rare Turkeys has some good hatching advise I think also applies to guinea other than the days. My incubator is preset. I hatch all my eggs the same. Chickens Ducks, geese and guinea. Many times at the same time."

http://www.porterturkeys.com/egghatchingtips.htm

That web site does a good job of how to hatch eggs I think

by ZoeTX, Wednesday, April 19, 2017, 09:05 (70 days ago) @ Barbara-NH

- No text -

Confused about humidity levels

by Heritage Hens @, Wednesday, May 10, 2017, 12:50 (49 days ago) @ domerdoc

Doc, have you gone to the Brinsea website?
They have excellent information about hatching. Also, do not hesitate to call them and ask for a TECHNICIAN! Do not settle for a salesperson who probably has never seen a guinea egg.

I have an Octagon 40 EX and an Ovation 56. They came with excellent manuals. I hope you still have the one that came with yours. When I first set up my new Ovation with the automatic pump and everything except music, I had a really hard time with the humidity control and settings. I called the Florida HQ and after a two day wait had a technician call me back. He was really helpful.

He reinforced the manual advice about maintaining humidity at around 45%. He said it is going to fluctuate depending on the ambient temperature and humidity in the room, in the atmosphere outside the house, and how the controls are set. Sure enough, after adding a sponge to the water trough opposite where the automatic pump pipe is, and raising up the humidity control to read 50%, I was able to get it down to a fairly consistent 45%. At the time I had wood stove going in the living room and little humidity outside the house.

Eventually the atmosphere changed and I went back to the controls and locked in 45%.
The bator is in my home office at the far end of the house, so little change in RH and temp now that the wood stove is off and heat doesn't have to come on and off.

In my hatcher I have in the bathroom is kept at 55% to 65% for the last three days of the egg hatching. But I have made mistakes on marking eggs and had perfectly healthy keets hatch in the (non-hatcher) incubator with the 45% humidity.

--
Heritage Hens Homestead

RSS Feed of thread