Guinea
Decals

Color Chart

GFIA
Latest News

GFIA Articles &
Activities Index

Find us on Facebook

Got gunieas but they sure are messy with their feed (General Discussion)

by jcummins, Tuesday, April 18, 2017, 20:24 (71 days ago)

I have them in what i call a brooder cage. Raised some ducks in there few weeks ago, now guineas.

They have scattered feed all over the bottom of this cage. I mean an inch deep everywhere. Pretty soon I'll be taking the box in the cage out, that will leave a mesh wire bottom and that feed is just going into the poop gutter on this cage.

How best to avoid thaT.

What type of feeder are you using?

by Barbara-NH @, Tuesday, April 18, 2017, 22:40 (71 days ago) @ jcummins

Guinea keets are notorious for digging in their feed bowls and/or tossing it this way and that. In the wild doing that helps them find food under leaves and among the grasses, but in a domesticated world it only makes for a lot of wasted feed. It helps to use one of the feeding trays with round holes that make it harder to kick out the feed. Also, you can put the feeder on a short platform or board to raise it up a bit. It's almost impossible to avoid having some scattered feed, though.

What type of feeder are you using?

by ZoeTX, Wednesday, April 19, 2017, 09:00 (70 days ago) @ Barbara-NH

sometimes after they get about 3 weeks old, one of those feeders with a cover over the feed with round openings for them to put their heads in works better than just feed in a bowl. They are messy little dudes no doubt.

For adults, I take an old milk jug and cut out part of it, leaving a lip on the bottom and hang it on the fence with a plastic tie just about chest level and they can't get their feet into it and that helps A LOT!! If you are interested when they get to that stage, I will give a clearer explanation of what I do. Just let me know.

RSS Feed of thread