Decals

Color Chart

GFIA
Latest News

GFIA Articles &
Activities Index

Find us on Facebook

foxes (General Discussion)

by cdartown, Saturday, April 22, 2017, 13:34 (152 days ago)

Here in Vermont we want our guineas to free range since their main job is to control deer ticks which are a plague to us and our dogs.
However, the area we want the guineas to free range in is bordered by woods which are great fox habitat. We have a house to which the guineas return each night but we leave lost several birds during the day to foxes especially this time of the year. Does any one have any recommendations about motion sensitive repellents particularly sound/light ones since water ones would be difficult. Thanks.

I have no experience with any predator deterrents

by Barbara, Sunday, April 23, 2017, 00:32 (152 days ago) @ cdartown

I hope those who do will offer their recommendations.

We use Nite Guards around our property

by ZoeTX, Sunday, April 23, 2017, 13:29 (151 days ago) @ Barbara

They won't do too much for daytime predators, but if the predators see them at night, they might think twice about coming around during the day. Our best defense against predators either day or night is our Great Pyr. He is ancient and can't see or hear, but when he barks everyone know something huge is out there!!

img:Motion Sensitive Repellents =]

by BennieAndTheJets, Saturday, April 29, 2017, 02:38 (146 days ago) @ cdartown

[image]

We had the same problem: got Guineas to get rid of ticks, got attached to the birds, lost one to a coyote at 11:30 am before my eyes - got "motion sensitive repellents" - ha ha - aka Life Stock Guardian dogs - we got two Maremma Sheepdogs - they are still in training, but the canine predators are already aware, I am pretty sure - they know there is 'a new Sheriff in town' and they hunt elsewhere - so far so good

can your dogs help?

Motion Sensitive Repellents =]

by buckwheatkeet, Monday, May 01, 2017, 23:01 (143 days ago) @ BennieAndTheJets

Absolutely Adorable! Good to "see" you here Bennie. I've been thinking about you and meant to e-mail you to see how you were, but have been having issues with the e-mail.

Awesine Repellents!

by ZoeTX, Monday, May 01, 2017, 23:56 (143 days ago) @ BennieAndTheJets

They are so adorable. How old are they?

We have a Great Pyr, but he is getting old. Doesn't see or hear well, but still walks his rounds all the time. Love that old dog!

I absolutely LOVE these guys!

by Barbara, Tuesday, May 02, 2017, 08:31 (142 days ago) @ BennieAndTheJets

I'm sure they are so much fun to have around!

Thanks ladies! - Motion Sensitive Repellents =]

by BennieAndTheJets, Wednesday, May 03, 2017, 13:00 (141 days ago) @ BennieAndTheJets

They are a hand full. I have to post some more recent photos.

They are growing up fast - but still acting very childish at times, ha ha. 6 months old now - the picture was probably taken at 3 months.

The male is getting to be a huge bear-like-African-lion-like woolly bully. He has a huge white mane and is very uncomfortable when it gets hot. We already had some days in the 80s.

Our girl is very clever and always ready to get into trouble when offered a chance.

I filled a little baby pool with some cold water for them to cool off in. She was in there within 30 seconds - he is still deciding on it - ha ha.

They do not have enough to do - for which I am glad - not too many predators visiting lately.

Have seen a Copperhead, though - luckily, away from the general animal area. They are poisonous and will bite when cornered.

Other than that, the pups just had an encounter with a turtle and with a ground hog.

Not too bad.

img: More recent pics - Motion Sensitive Repellents =]

by BennieAndTheJets, Wednesday, May 03, 2017, 13:32 (141 days ago) @ BennieAndTheJets

More recent pics - Motion Sensitive Repellents =]

by buckwheatkeet, Thursday, May 04, 2017, 05:23 (140 days ago) @ BennieAndTheJets

Adorable! I love them! p:p p:p

I love those pictures!

by ZoeTX, Wednesday, May 03, 2017, 15:06 (141 days ago) @ BennieAndTheJets

My guineas have done a lot to deter our copperhead population. We still find one sometimes, but not nearly as frequently as we did BG (before guineas }-D

Poisonous Snakes

by BennieAndTheJets, Thursday, May 04, 2017, 00:41 (141 days ago) @ ZoeTX

Good to know.

Did you ever have a problem with a Guinea getting hurt by a poisonous snake?

I wonder if they could get them in the head or legs...

Maybe the feathers would protect them elsewhere

Poisonous Snakes

by ZoeTX, Thursday, May 04, 2017, 08:51 (140 days ago) @ BennieAndTheJets

I've not lost one that I'm aware of, but that isn't to say it didn't happen. If I have lost some to the poisonous snakes, it hasn't been very many.

RSS Feed of thread