Guinea
Decals

Color Chart

GFIA
Latest News

GFIA Articles &
Activities Index

Find us on Facebook

Fenbendazole for Guineas - Dose and Safety (Diseases & Injuries)

by BennieAndTheJets, Saturday, April 29, 2017, 02:43 (210 days ago)

Hi you'all,

I think I got this figured out but love-love-love our Guineas and want to double check with you, just to make sure.

I will do a fecal float to see if the eggs are really there, but I am pretty sure we are dealing with Gapeworm and possibly Capillaria.

In the Exotic Animal Formulary by James W. Carpenter, it has a number of references and doses for fenbendazole for use in birds.  The trick is to read it correctly.  From what I understand, Gapeworm and Capillaria can be treated with 50 mg /kg of body weight for 5 days.  It does not have a specific reference for Guinea fowl.

Just weighed all our Guineas yesterday - oh boy - they are between 1.09 and 2.35 kg - so that would be 54.5 to 117.5 mg of fenbendazole.  We have the Safeguard for goats type with 100 mg/ml, so that would mean 0.545 to 1.175 ml or about 1/2 to 1.2 ml for our birds. Once a day, for 5 days in a row.

I had one bird at the vet's for loss of voice, and I think, from what I remember, she ended up getting 0.8 ml for 5 days.

So this sounds right to me.

The lightest bird would get about 1/2 ml for 5 days, our heaviest girl about 1.2 ml for 5 days.

Our vet said, he would not treat the whole flock, only symptomatic birds, because....  I don't remember - maybe he was worried about side effects?

The thing is, I have 26 Guineas and can't really tell who does not have anything.  Some have it, I am pretty sure, so I was going to treat everyone.

What do you think? Does that sound reasonable?  I don't want to hurt (or kill!?!) any of our birds with this.  Have you had any problems with high doses of fenbendazole / Safeguard for goats at about 1 ml a day for 5 days into the beak? 

Any input much appreciated!

Thanks, Bennie

I know that fenbendazole is considered a very safe drug for guinea fowl

by Barbara, Sunday, April 30, 2017, 18:19 (208 days ago) @ BennieAndTheJets

The only avian species that it is not considered safe for is pigeons. However, I did read of one precaution when treating birds, and that is that they should not be treated when they are molting. Apparently, it is possible that fenbendazole use while in a molt could cause damage to the emerging feathers.

I'm sorry that I cannot help you with the dosage for guineas. I know I've used Safeguard with my guineas in the past, but I cannot remember how I treated them.

I'm no help at all....

by ZoeTX, Sunday, April 30, 2017, 23:00 (208 days ago) @ Barbara

I've not experienced gapeworms, but I believe Carl has treated for them. I will see if I can contact him and get input from him.

Sorry....

Thank you Both!!

by BennieAndTheJets, Wednesday, May 03, 2017, 12:51 (205 days ago) @ BennieAndTheJets

I am planning to start treating tomorrow.

I am afraid of the effect (a little) and mostly of the stress for all of us.

Usually they get upset by the time I caught the 5th bird - certainly after 5 days of catching everyone there will be a riot.

And I have to give them the stuff into the beak now - with the ivermectin it was just a topical application...

ugh - I think it is necessary, though

I have several birds gaping and I know they get secondary infections from the internal damage of the worms

Bella even laid a "lush egg" - disgusting thing without a shell - looks like a hard boiled egg with puss on the outside - aech!

she was very sick, could not jump into the coop without help, but still went free ranging and seems to be fine again now

I found a site that said she probably had a fever - that is what cooks the yolk

I am so glad she is ok for now and hope she is over it - she is part of the Mr.Bird/Bella pair - the tightest pair we have - they have rarely been more than 6 feet apart for the last 5 years! - and Mr. Bird panics when he loses sight of her

hopefully the treatment will help everyone to shake some stuff and be stronger

Good luck with the treatments

by ZoeTX, Wednesday, May 03, 2017, 15:04 (205 days ago) @ BennieAndTheJets

I hope that they decide to cooperate with you!! Tell them what we tell kids, "Its for your own good!"

Good luck with the treatments

by BennieAndTheJets, Thursday, May 04, 2017, 00:36 (205 days ago) @ ZoeTX

Thanks, Zoe.

I will.

And I hope it is correct.

Hope everyone will do well with that or at least take no harm.

Will see how it goes tomorrow.

Thanks for thinking of us!

Done. We did it!

by BennieAndTheJets, Tuesday, May 16, 2017, 05:19 (193 days ago) @ BennieAndTheJets

Phew - I did not start the next day - I really dreaded this - but we are done now!

Treated all 26 birds, by month (beak), 5 days in a row! Holy cow! That was stressful - but it went better than I thought. They are really good Guineas!

I had a different strategy this time and it worked great: I did not lock them up (to do each one and then release), I did them in several sets over the course of the day. Had to remember who was done and who was not, but that was ok. I know them pretty well now and wrote the names down as I did them. Also did a lot of them at night and in the early morning. Did not lock the door, and took lots of breaks, moving slowly in the coop. It worked well!

I discovered that I have one really sick bird - Gray Girl - and Blue is worse, it seems, thinner yet - say a prayer for us, if you believe.

It was actually good to handle everyone to see how they are.

Gray Girl has bad poops and she panted with open beak right away when I caught her - very stressed, very exhausted. One night I thought she'd be dead by morning, since I saw her heaving while breathing (this was days after the treatment) but the next day she went out to free range again.

Guineas can be amazingly strong! Sometimes they recover, I find.

Anyway, it has been four days since the end of treatment and everyone is still ok.

I do think they benefitted from it: they are not gaping and shaking their heads now - yeah!

Vita was still doing that on day 6 and I actually treated her one more time, even though the instructions were for 5 days. She seems ok now, too.

Hope all is well with your flock and you never have to deal with the nasty Gapeworm!

If any one has tips for prevention/management, please let me know!

Thanks, Bennie

Done. We did it!

by ZoeTX, Tuesday, May 16, 2017, 10:41 (192 days ago) @ BennieAndTheJets

Great news. It is always so stressful when we have difficulties with our animals. Will pray for Gray Girl and hope that things go well with all.

Thank you for caring enough about your guineas to do all that work. You are awesome!

Good job, Bennie!

by Barbara, Thursday, May 18, 2017, 01:04 (191 days ago) @ BennieAndTheJets

I'm sure it wasn't easy, but I knew you'd get it done. I love that you're already seeing results and that the guineas are acting better (and feeling better, too, I hope). Sorry to hear about Gray Girl and Blue not feeling up to par. I hope they surprise you and come around before too long. g:l g:l

RSS Feed of thread