Guinea
Decals

Color Chart

GFIA
Latest News

GFIA Articles &
Activities Index

Find us on Facebook

MEN Fair in Ashville, NC (General Discussion)

by ZoeTX, Friday, May 05, 2017, 09:07 (203 days ago)

I am leaving today to go to NC for the MEN (Mother Earth News) Fair and will be gone until late Monday.

I'm leaving 2 hens sitting on a nest (the third one gave up and went on her way) that I thought should have hatched the 30th. I stole a few eggs from the nest and of 7 eggs, 2 were duds and 5 had movement in them. I gave the 5 to my granddaughter who has a broody hen. Yep, you figured it out...I was afraid to try to put them back in the 2-hen nest!!! Hope they wait until I return to hatch these little dudes.

Thinking of you guys. Have a good weekend

Have fun at the fair, Zoe!

by Barbara, Saturday, May 06, 2017, 13:47 (202 days ago) @ ZoeTX

Thanks to you and the other GFIA members who are representing us at this event. Hope the weather is nice and warm and you have a great time visiting with other guinea fowl lovers and potential keepers in that part of the country!

MEN Fair in Ashville, NC

by BennieAndTheJets, Tuesday, May 16, 2017, 05:33 (193 days ago) @ ZoeTX

Thanks for representing us, Zoe!

Hope your little ones hatched when you came back :h: :hc: and the fair was pleasant and fun. g:f m:o p:g h:r :d:

MEN Fair in Ashville, NC

by ZoeTX, Tuesday, May 16, 2017, 10:37 (192 days ago) @ BennieAndTheJets

Not exactly....it was cold and rainy at the Fair. Keets didn't hatch. This is real life. LOL

MEN Fair in Ashville, NC

by BennieAndTheJets, Tuesday, May 16, 2017, 14:33 (192 days ago) @ ZoeTX

are the nests still there?

will they hatch still?

don't feel too bad - I had two born, but the second is not well - not sure what to do with one - like you said, life can be that way some time :-/

MEN Fair in Ashville, NC

by ZoeTX, Tuesday, May 16, 2017, 18:54 (192 days ago) @ BennieAndTheJets

I don't think that they are going to hatch. I can't decide if I should shoo her off the nest and take the eggs in the morning or in the evening. What to do????

One little one is really difficult unless you are going to make a pet out of it. Do you have a hen who might be interested in taking care of it? What to do????

(Isn't that always the question?)

I would let her sit until she gets up

by BennieAndTheJets, Thursday, May 18, 2017, 21:33 (190 days ago) @ ZoeTX

they do eventually give up

and there may be a chance you still get some keets from her?

and you would not have to do something unpleasant :-D

I have no time or interest in a pet - sigh - I don't think it would be good for the Guinea either

we are taking it one day at a time - the sick one is still alive and the healthy one is growing like weeds - maybe I can integrate her/him :-)

Hope all is well at your end!

I took action!

by ZoeTX, Friday, May 19, 2017, 09:29 (189 days ago) @ BennieAndTheJets

I finally decided to take action and I ran the last little hen off the nest. She had 20 eggs under her. That made for a total of 55 eggs in that nest. Of the 20 eggs, I saw movement in 2. I trashed the 18 and returned the 2 to the nest. I thought that she probably would not sit on them, but it was hot here in Texas and I figured I would take the two eggs in that night.

I couldn't believe it, she not only sat on the eggs, but one hatched yesterday. She left the little guy and I had to take him to a friend that had babies because I didn't want to raise a single keet. I took the other egg (that still showed movement) to another friend because she had a batch she was incubating that were about the same stage as the egg.

Last night we checked on the hen and she was sitting on the nest again with no eggs!! We made her get up and go into the pen. I stayed outside for 3 hours watching her and she just paced the pen. I felt so sad for the poor little girl.

Thanks for sharing!

by BennieAndTheJets, Saturday, May 20, 2017, 00:01 (189 days ago) @ ZoeTX

What a story!

sorry for your hen, but the keets seem to be better of for it - she will make another nest and better luck next time, eh?

I wish I had friends like you - our little sick one died and the other one is terrified or at least very upset - I am not sure what to do

put a mirror in with it and left the stuffed animal, of course - will keep an eye on it

too cold to go to the coop and not sure the others would accept it at all

Rats!! Sorry about the little one passing

by ZoeTX, Sunday, May 21, 2017, 17:57 (187 days ago) @ BennieAndTheJets

Hope the survivor does well and when he is stronger maybe you can put him in the coop. I have a single right now....granddaughter's chicken hatched a guinea and didn't take care of it, so I picked it up this afternoon. Will probably have to take it to my friend who has several babies right now. GRRRR

Aw, that's unfortunate, Bennie

by Barbara, Monday, May 22, 2017, 12:38 (186 days ago) @ BennieAndTheJets

So sorry you lost the one that was struggling and that you are now left with a lone keet. Hopefully, it will be accepted by your flock. Is there a hen in your flock that might want to mother it? Maybe if it is accepted by one of your hens, she will protect it from the others.

Thanks, Zoe and Barabara!!

by BennieAndTheJets, Tuesday, May 23, 2017, 08:07 (185 days ago) @ Barbara

Yeah - I buried Rocky in our Guinea cemetery - normally I throw the little ones out that die (rare, but it does happen when one is born with a defect) and I used to euthanize them - but I named and buried this one - getting softer as I get older - ha ha - maybe seeing too much illness in family and friends and more compassionate - anyway, after death, I suppose the baby does not care - but it got to live a week, at least, and there were times when I thought it may make it, with a rocky start...

Got 2 possibles on Craigslist from an ad I placed - got to call the one that gave his number - but had some bad experiences there in the past, so a little leery now - will talk to them to see if they have other Guineas close in age (unlikely)

otherwise, thanks for your encouragement to think that a hen may adopt it - unfortunately, had only negative experiences there - usually our flock does not like newcomers, even babies... so we will have to see

Tina or Bernie jumped out of the box twice yesterday - "There's got to be more of a world out there!" and I added a grate on top - still not feathered enough to go to the coop - heat lamp is difficult to provide out there - but we will take it one day at a time :-)

right now s/he was exited about greens and grit, and is hanging in there and growing nicely

RSS Feed of thread