Guinea
Decals

Color Chart

GFIA
Latest News

GFIA Articles &
Activities Index

Find us on Facebook

Keets, Mealworms and Grit (General Discussion)

by kim ⌂, Pontotoc, TX, Friday, June 30, 2017, 09:44 (55 days ago)

So what does this look like?

Do I put the grit in a bowl? Do i scatter meal worms on the ground? Do I put the meal worms in a bowl and scatter the grit? Do I mix the worms and grit in a bowl?

Ha ..... I'm clueless.

I have begun giving the Guinea cocaine, White Millet, about every other day and the keets don't seem impressed. I thought I'd try mealworms and see if they would go crazy for them. But I understand that grit must be supplied as well and I just don't know how it's to be presented.

Thanks
Kim

Things to try

by Barbara, Friday, June 30, 2017, 12:10 (54 days ago) @ kim

Kim, if you are going to try dried mealworms, I don't think you need to be too concerned about the keets also taking in some grit. Those mealworms are very brittle, and they're not much harder to digest than their regular poultry feed. Live mealworms never worked out for me. I think my guineas were frightened by their movement. :L: White millet does require a certain amount of grit to help with digestion. I would offer the grit in a separate bowl or dish. They can choose to take in what they need. It helps to first offer the white millet or the mealworms by hand or to scatter them about. Later, after they have decided they like it, you can put each in a separate dish (or one dish for the both) for them to feed out of. Be consistent with your offerings. I would try a couple of times each day for about a week before giving up and trying something else. It might take a few days for them to become interested in anything that is strange.

Good advise Barbara

by ZoeTX, Saturday, July 01, 2017, 21:37 (53 days ago) @ Barbara

My guineas (both adults and keets) don't like mealworms or white millet, but they go crazy over left over parrot food!!! Silly things. If I tell them I have the "good stuff", they seem to know what I'm talking about. LOL

Things to try

by kim ⌂, Pontotoc, TX, Sunday, July 02, 2017, 11:44 (52 days ago) @ Barbara

Success!!!..... Meal Worms are jumped on as fast as I can shake them from a bag. It's pretty fun to watch and causes a smile.

Thanks for all the help!

Yay !

by Barbara, Sunday, July 02, 2017, 14:49 (52 days ago) @ kim

- No text -

RSS Feed of thread