Guinea
Decals

Color Chart

GFIA
Latest News

GFIA Articles &
Activities Index

Find us on Facebook

Should I Stay Or Should I Go? Towards the light, I mean (General Discussion)

by kim ⌂, Pontotoc, TX, Saturday, July 01, 2017, 11:17 (53 days ago)
edited by kim, Saturday, July 01, 2017, 17:27

I had a keet escape the other day. When I walked into the barn there was a little keet trying to figure out how to get back in the stall. All the keets seemed to be making a racket as if scolding the guy who had escaped. Upon seeing me and one of my dogs, the little guy scurried for cover. Unfortunately he found himself between the inside wall of the barn and the outside walls of the stalls. (There's a 4" space between the walls) So now the keet is half way down the length of the barn sqeeking behind the stall/coop. This caused the rest of the keets to gather on the back wall of the coop sqeeking back.

What to do? How to get the keet out of there?

Well once again the solution was found having read pages of information found here on GFI. Guineas don't like the dark, use a flashlight to help guide them back inside, keep a light in the coop...etc.

By turning off the lights in the barn and opening up a door at the far end just enough to allow the bright afternoon sunlight beam in the opening, but not enough to flood the entire barn with light.... that little sucker teleported to the light, in a blink of an eye there the keet was. Out into the tall grass and the keet was easily captured. Whew! The GFI community saved the keet and saved me from an embarrassing loss.

Thank you for all the good practical information.

Glad to hear it all worked out!

by Barbara, Saturday, July 01, 2017, 11:23 (53 days ago) @ kim

And great thinking on your part, Kim. :9: It's nice to know our archives were a help to you and your keets. Bet that little escapee feels relieved to be back with the rest!

LOL, so glad there was a happy ending to that story

by ZoeTX, Saturday, July 01, 2017, 21:34 (53 days ago) @ Barbara

We keep 3 flashlights close to our back door so that there is always one available when we go out to check the guineas at night....just in case we missed one when we closed them up we have a light to guide the stray one in.

Good thinking on your part Kim. YAY!!

RSS Feed of thread