Guinea
Decals

Color Chart

GFIA
Latest News

GFIA Articles &
Activities Index

Find us on Facebook

Temperatures of 105 (General Discussion)

by cmorris1 @, Thursday, July 13, 2017, 18:43 (157 days ago)

Me again, my keets are now a little over 3 weeks old and our temperatures here in Montana are soaring up to 105 degrees in the day time. Any ideas on how to keep them a little cooler? I am running a fan in their coop right now which seems to help some and they can come out into their run which has shade. But some of them are sitting on the perch just panting. Any ideas are appreciated.

How about a shallow pan of cool water?

by Barbara, Thursday, July 13, 2017, 22:06 (157 days ago) @ cmorris1

Just enough so they can cool their feet in it - out in the pen, of course.

How about a shallow pan of cool water?

by cmorris1 @, Thursday, July 13, 2017, 23:40 (156 days ago) @ Barbara

Do you think they would walk around in it? Sure worth a try!!!

I've seen photos of adults standing in water on a hot day

by Barbara, Friday, July 14, 2017, 02:06 (156 days ago) @ cmorris1

Not sure if youngsters would figure it out, but I would think they would at least be interested. Once one steps in, I bet others would follow.

by cmorris1 @, Friday, July 14, 2017, 10:06 (156 days ago) @ Barbara

I am going to try it, it is supposed to get to 106 today which is kinda toasty!!!!

by ZoeTX, Friday, July 14, 2017, 12:31 (156 days ago) @ cmorris1

I have dampened a small area in my coop for the keets to dust bathe and rest in. They figured it out very quickly.

by cmorris1 @, Friday, July 14, 2017, 12:49 (156 days ago) @ ZoeTX

Good idea, will try that too, thank you!

How are your keets tolerating the heat?

by Barbara-NH @, Tuesday, July 18, 2017, 11:59 (152 days ago) @ cmorris1

I see that your temperatures haven't changed much (still more than 100 degrees). If we had those temps here in New Hampshire, I would be melting. We rarely get a hot day with low humidity, but it appears that humidity where you are is in the tolerable range. That should make a huge difference for you and your flock. Just wondering how things are going with the little ones.

How are your keets tolerating the heat?

by cmorris1 @, Tuesday, July 18, 2017, 14:38 (152 days ago) @ Barbara-NH

They seem to be doing ok, early afternoon when it is the hottest they do pant but I have a fan blowing into 1 of their screened vent windows which seems to be really helping. And the temperature today is about 90 which has helped a lot. Thank you all for the advice.

Oops! I was thinking you lived in Arizona

by Barbara-NH @, Wednesday, July 19, 2017, 03:13 (151 days ago) @ cmorris1

I'm sure you must have had some humidity with your 100 degree temps where you do live. Glad it's a bit lower now, but 90 degree heat can be uncomfortable, too,(at least for me here in New England). People in Texas just smile and think it's normal. :L:

RSS Feed of thread