Guinea
Decals

Color Chart

GFIA
Latest News

GFIA Articles &
Activities Index

Find us on Facebook

img: Good-bye, Blue. (General Discussion)

by BennieAndTheJets, Saturday, July 15, 2017, 17:23 (155 days ago)
edited by BennieAndTheJets, Saturday, July 15, 2017, 17:38

Blue died on July 7, 2017 - We miss him dearly.

In Memory of Blue - he was one of our strongest birds until he got sick in November 2016 at the age of only 4 - he kept loosing weight, despite vet care and medication (in retrospect I wish I had gone after the vet visits more - we only went once). He made it to 5 years old, but not further.

He spent most of the winter in my bathroom and I hand fed him - against his wishes - for 2 months with baby bird formula - one to three times a day.

When I put his image on our T-shirt last year, I thought I was safe because he would live a long time - I don't like the sadness of images of Guineas who are gone - but there you have it.

He was a real trooper and a strong and confident bird, even when his weight was down to nothing. He still held his own in the flock and went out free-ranging. In his last days he was still jumping up to fetch Japanese Beetles from our roses. I thought he would turn around and come back - he never gave up until the last 24 hours. He gave me time to say a final good-bye in person and then left.

Blue 2012 to 2017
[image]

Blue at 1 year old - he was a most handsome Coral Blue and did his name honor
[image]

Blue in January 2017
[image]

Blue in March of 2017
[image]

Blue in June - still dust bathing and running with Spirit, despite reduced strength
[image]

[image]
Good-bye, Blue. I know you'll be really something, wherever you go.

A very special guinea indeed!

by Barbara-NH @, Sunday, July 16, 2017, 18:43 (154 days ago) @ BennieAndTheJets

I will miss your Blue, too, Bennie. He was a superstar among guineas, a trooper throughout his whole life, and very lucky to have been raised by such a loving and compassionate caretaker. I know the flock won't be the same without him, but I hope that the many wonderful memories you have of Blue will always make you smile. I am so sorry you lost him. Special guineas never really die. They always remain with us in one way or another. Wherever he is, I know he is happy and strong and doing what guineas are meant to do. :a: g+b :v:

Thank you, Barbara!

by BennieAndTheJets, Tuesday, July 18, 2017, 10:26 (152 days ago) @ Barbara-NH
edited by BennieAndTheJets, Tuesday, July 18, 2017, 10:38

You are very kind. And it is nice to be on a forum where others can understand how you can get attached to a bird and a poultry bird at that. ;-)

I think the flock is less caring than I expected. I am usually the one grieving and missing the ones who go. Pinchy and Blue used to be together and now Pinchy is with Teddy. Go figure. we have 25 Guineas in the coop now, so there is a lot for everyone to do, as far as interactions are concerned. There are a lot of other friends and bullies to think about at any one time, so that may be why one individual is not more obviously missed.

Noone seems to miss Blue - but then again, I am sure I miss 99% of Guinea communications and thoughts and feelings - I think that's why many people think they are so dumb. It's because we're not smarter. }-D

Bella and Mr. Bird, however, I think are very different. They have not been more than 6 feet apart in the last 5 years and when he can't see her, he freaks out. I am a little afraid of one of them going first. Bella has been sick, too, but so far so good. Need to focus on the positive and the now.

Anyway, another caveat - we rarely have colored keets - almost all our keets are Pearl Gray - and that is fine - I love them - but just before Blue died two Coral Blue keets hatched!

And one Royal Purple - we don't even have Royal Purples - and then a Pearl and then a Lavender - and the day Blue died another Lavender.

I did not want any of these - they were eggs the hens had snuck in under a sitting hen that I had sitting on wooden eggs - when I clean the nests out periodically, I always check the real eggs and if they are developing they go into the 'bator.

I really wanted another Lavender so Lillybud would not be the only one - but resisted the temptation to keep the one earlier this year. Found a good home for it.

Now, with all this, I am keeping the little colorful flock and they do help to cheer me up quite a bit. They are not Blue, of course, but maybe there will be one special one among them, rather than a just a bunch of belligerent so-and-sos, ha ha, you never know.

Just gotto let life happen, I guess.

They also lit a fire under my butt to get the new run finished before they go out.

I still miss Blue, but I am happy that he got to go out until his very last day and he died in the coop, next to the hens on the nest, where he had been sleeping every night to stay warm and safe, and he got to do mostly what he wanted until the end. He even pecked at some millet still in the last 24 hours. :d: :a:

"Just gotta let life happen" - So true!

by Barbara-NH @, Tuesday, July 18, 2017, 10:57 (152 days ago) @ BennieAndTheJets

We can only do what we can, and there is so much that we just have no control over, no matter how much we try to adjust the outcome.

It certainly helps to look at what's positive in any situation. Yes, Blue left this world in the comfort of his surroundings and with his friends by his side. That is an enormous blessing for him and for you. :a:

Cause of Death

by BennieAndTheJets, Tuesday, July 18, 2017, 17:23 (152 days ago) @ Barbara-NH

I let the vet run a pathology report on him after necropsy (I still buried him later that day) because I have other birds that seem poorly and it may help them

They found a diagnosis of pulmonary anthracnosis (black lung disease?) due to poor air quality, smoke, or exhaust fumes

We have neither smoke or exhaust near the coop in significant quantities, from what I can tell – so I asked about the possibility of DE dust causing this and the vet will contact the pathologist to get an answer to that

standing by

Sad but interesting

by Barbara-NH @, Wednesday, July 19, 2017, 02:33 (151 days ago) @ BennieAndTheJets

Oh, I hope it wasn't caused by using DE, but that would actually make some sense. Please do let us know what the pathologist has to say.

Pathologist said it was not DE

by BennieAndTheJets, Saturday, August 12, 2017, 03:10 (127 days ago) @ BennieAndTheJets

They insisted (vet and pathologist) that it was 'black lung' disease from carbon inhalation

They asked me if anyone has burnt tires around here - but no

They said smoke or exhaust fumes

I am really puzzled

We had one fire that the fire department put out, but I did not think the coop got that much smoke

sometimes we get the smell from our neighbors' fire place and it is very strong in winter - I wonder if that could have done it

vet said to have EPA or someone check the air around our house since birds are more sensitive and can point to problems that affect us, too

I have not yet had a chance to follow up on this. but they said it definitely was not DE.

Good-bye, Blue.

by cmorris1 @, Wednesday, July 19, 2017, 20:01 (151 days ago) @ BennieAndTheJets

This is so sad.

Good-bye, Blue.

by buckwheatkeet, Friday, August 11, 2017, 00:27 (128 days ago) @ BennieAndTheJets

Bennie, I am so sorry about Blue! I'm not ashamed to say I sat here and cried when I read of his passing. Although I never had the pleasure of meeting him in person, I felt connected by the stories you shared. I was so hoping he would pull through his illness. I know how bad you are missing him. I still miss mine terribly. I love my shirt with his picture on it. Its always been special to me and now I have something to remember him by. RIP beautiful Blue.

g+b :a: g:b

RSS Feed of thread