Guinea
Decals

Color Chart

GFIA
Latest News

GFIA Articles &
Activities Index

Find us on Facebook

First time starting newborn keets in the coop: (3) WATER (Incubation & Brooding)

by steve, Western Massachusetts, Saturday, July 22, 2017, 12:16 (33 days ago)

I've got 25 keets coming this week in the mail (I'm going to keep about half of them, and sell the others when they get a little older). It's been a while since I've had this situation: My starter order was 6 years ago, and only a dozen. There was no existing adult flock, I kept them in cage with a lightbulb to heat them in a very controlled environment. Since then, most new birds have been hatched and raised DIY by the hens in the coop.

Now, I've got a flock of (15) in an 8x12 shed coop. My plan is to start the keets in the coop on day 1 (well, technically day 3!). I've never done it this way, and I realized as the time approaches that I have a LOT of questions (surprise, surprise coming from me). So, I'm going to break them down into separate topics in several forum posts (and repeat this intro in each one). Here's the third topic, how to water cleanly:

I plan to put the usual small feeder in there, and small water dish (with pebbles in it) in their area. The rest of the coop has nipple waterers, and I'd prefer to start the keets that way right off the bat if possible: When there are keets in the coop and I put in a water dish, it's pretty much unusable within minutes b/c everyone gets pine shavings in there right away. If I could just have little bottles with nipples on them hanging in the keet section, I'd feel a lot better. Will they figure it out right away or will the dehydrate from ignorance?

RSS Feed of thread