Guinea
Decals

Color Chart

GFIA
Latest News

GFIA Articles &
Activities Index

Find us on Facebook

img: Keets First Day Out (General Discussion)

by kim ⌂, Pontotoc, TX, Wednesday, July 26, 2017, 12:46 (28 days ago)

The keets turned 6 weeks yesterday, so this morning I opened the doors and let the little guys explore a wee bit.

Dirt!!!

[image]

And a Road Runner eyed them suspiciously.

[image]

I guess they're a bit scared.... they seem to be in a rugby scrum their whole time out.

[image]

No problem getting them back into the coop/stall. They all went for water as soon as they got back, which leads me to another question...... will I need to put water near the barn door? .... or will they be ok drinking from stock tanks?

They are usually very timid the first time out

by Barbara-NH @, Thursday, July 27, 2017, 02:21 (28 days ago) @ kim

Yours do seem exceptionally so in their close knit huddle. :L: But, I bet they had an exciting and enjoyable time. Your grounds are beautiful and look perfect for guineas!

I would certainly put out some water for them positioned near the barn door. They will probably learn to drink from a stock tank, but it doesn't hurt to have water available close to their "home" to help keep them coming back to check in on occasion.

img: They are usually very timid the first time out

by kim ⌂, Pontotoc, TX, Friday, July 28, 2017, 13:10 (26 days ago) @ Barbara-NH

Well I may be a bit biased but these little guys are smart Barbara! B-) This morning they eagerly went for the sunshine and bugs..... How do they do that?.... Know that there be bugs out there! They have mastered grasshopper mid-flight capture, ripped a spider apart, ate every generic bug they came across and even fought over a centipede. They really are amazing little birds, and have become embolden to go where no guinea has gone before. We let them range for a couple of hours and found them ...... well that's not quite accurate, they found us at the barn office. We did not have to go and search for them, they came back and then went back to their barn!

[image]

[image]

I put water out as suggested and they were curious but not a one had a drink. After returning to their coop/stall they all had a drink. And some of them were pretty thirsty, drinking while I was adjusting the water level...... they usually stand off when I'm fiddling about with feeders and waterers. Today was the first time they were not bothered by me filling a feeder or waterer.

I did not have a chance to try out the cow bell guinea call because they returned on their own. So tomorrow morning I'll try that out with treats and see if they will come. They might just be more interested in all the grasshoppers.

I'm a little worried about leaving them out all day because of the heat .... it's summer and it's Texas. If they had a drink outside of the coop I'd feel better letting them range all day. So I'll just give them the 2-3 hour ranging for the next week or two. I suspect they will want to stay out longer once they get bigger.

Now what about these grown up voices they all seem to have from time to time? Can an accurate decision be made as to the keets sex if I am hearing single syllable and 2 syllable calls? Still the majority of the noise coming is keet peep, but 5%-10% of the noise is the adult voice. I had no interest in the birds sex when I ordered these guys up, but now I'm thinking what to do with eggs and hens and all the issues concerning guinea love. I really don't want to deal with it if I don't have to. :-(

You can definitely identify the females by the two-syllable call at this age

by Barbara-NH @, Friday, July 28, 2017, 22:14 (26 days ago) @ kim

The one-syllable sound won't let you know their gender. They might be male or female as both can make that call.

img: They are usually very timid the first time out

by kim ⌂, Pontotoc, TX, Friday, August 04, 2017, 11:40 (19 days ago) @ Barbara-NH

They seem to have become use to being out and about. The extra waterer gets a lot use in the Texas heat and I find them having a drink frequently throughout the day. Thanks for that tip Barbara.

[image]

My French Bulldog has taken upon himself to be their guardian, which is somewhat odd, he is usually the first dog into the fray, killing skunks, raccoons, and porcupines who stray to close to the barns. I would have wagered on the Lab. He follows them around keeping an eye out for anything unusual. The little guy is really kinda funny, walking them out of the coop first thing in the morning and not wanting to leave after putting them up in the evening.

[image]

The keets have become really responsive to the cow bell, running to the noise and collecting their treats. Sure makes it easy to put them up. They currently are well behaved guineas, no bullying, fighting or mischief. They have discovered the horse round pen, which is a 50 foot diameter dirt pen to work horses in...... but it's the dirt they love. It's really loose from hooves so makes for fluffy dirt to get covered in. Happy Guineas!! They still have not ranged more that 100 yards from the barns, but I suspect as they get larger and can navigate the deep grass they will discover just how much real estate they have to play in.

[image]

They turn 8 weeks this coming Tuesday and I think all have found their adult voice. That's some racket when all have something to say. They all make a really funny sound when they fly, a kind of clucking sort of sound. I had not heard this before from all the videos I've watched, so I found it to be enjoyable to hear. Even if I can't see them, if I hear the clucking, I know they are flying somewhere.

This has turned into a quit enjoyable experience........hope it continues!!

Really glad to hear things are going so well!

by Barbara-NH @, Friday, August 04, 2017, 22:04 (19 days ago) @ kim

Guineas certainly do have a way of capturing our hearts. :a:

RSS Feed of thread