Guinea
Decals

Color Chart

GFIA
Latest News

GFIA Articles &
Activities Index

Find us on Facebook

How do you mix Tylan powder? (Diseases & Injuries)

by BennieAndTheJets, Wednesday, August 02, 2017, 19:46 (21 days ago)

I called Elanco and they were utterly unhelpful, to the point of being gleeful that they would not help me with a very basic question about their product.

The question is: rather than following the instructions on the container and mixing the entire content with 1 Gallon of water before mixing this gallon with enough additional water to make 50 Gallons at once, how do you mix it to get just one gallon of the same solution at a time?

A male veterinarian at their office told me he could not legally tell me this. I actually doubt the correctness of his statement - I can see that he cannot advise on using the product for an off-label species or at the wrong concentration, but I doubt that he can legally not translate the instructions to yield a smaller amount of solution, at the same concentration.

I suspect that he may be ignorant of how to calculate this or otherwise unable or unwilling to make an effort to answer the question, and I think I will let the company or even government regulators know because there are all sorts of guesses on the internet as to how to mix the antibiotic, some referring to a call to Elanco, and I collected no fewer than 7 different concentrations resulting from the different guesses at mixing the product correctly. With their unwillingness to provide information to a conscientious consumer (and paying customer) Elanco is contributing to the likely and unintentional misuse of an antibiotic that may render it ineffective in the future, and they are responsible for their product and user support/instructions.

So, how do you mix it to get the correct concentration for less than 50 Gallons at a time and why do you think it is correct?

Just curious if anyone wants to chime in after all this. :-/ :-D

Tylan dosing

by Barbara-NH @, Thursday, August 03, 2017, 00:24 (21 days ago) @ BennieAndTheJets

My understanding is that the instructions are meant for commercial flocks, and the procedure to mix the Tylan powder insures that it gets completely dissolved prior to administering. I wonder if perhaps the manufacturer cannot legally give out dosing advice due to a pending lawsuit? I don't know, just a guess.

It is hard to discover what the dose would be when preparing just a gallon for treating a small backyard flock, but I believe the proper way to treat your guineas would be to put 1 teaspoon of the Tylan powder in a dry glass container with a lid. Always add the powder to the container first before pouring in any water. Add 1 quart of water to the jar, close the lid, and shake the solution vigorously until the powder is dissolved. Then you can combine that solution (1 quart) with 3 quarts of water (1 gallon total) in your waterer and stir thoroughly. A new solution should be prepared each day you are treating your flock.

How long are you planning to treat your birds? I know it can vary depending on the severity of the condition.

I think you are right on

by BennieAndTheJets, Saturday, August 05, 2017, 00:42 (19 days ago) @ Barbara-NH

Thank you, Barbara!

My vet got in touch with the company and we finally agreed on about 1/2 tsp per Gallon - mixed as you describe, but I also took all the powder out of the container with a half tsp and got 67 flat 1/2 teaspoons or 53 heaping ones out of it, so if that amount of powder is for 50 gallons, a little more than one heaping half tsp would treat 1 gallon - or with a little extra, to avoid resistance through under-dosing, 1 tsp / Gallon - mixed exactly as you say.

dunno about the time - I think 3 days is min, they say you can go to 5, and maybe even 7

I don't like undertreating because of resistance danger, so I will probably go for the longer time

RSS Feed of thread