Decals

Color Chart

GFIA
Latest News

GFIA Articles &
Activities Index

Find us on Facebook

IMG: 2017 Babies (General Discussion)

by BennieAndTheJets, Monday, August 21, 2017, 09:59 (116 days ago)

In the bathtub until all are big enough to go outside
[image]

Little Felix had splayed legs - here shown sleeping comfortably, still in the tub
[image]

Since we had snakes lately, I made a safe night time enclosure (so far so good)
[image]

Made a perch from a tree branch and some scrap wood
[image]

Day time enclosure (the adults are around in the day time and hopefully will keep the snakes away) - note Felix standing on the brick, fully recovered from the splay legs
[image]

Two of the keets are called Agali and Alma in honor of the parents of Aisholpan, a Kazakh girl who trained to be an Eagle Huntress in Mongolia - the parents who support this strong and determined young girl (she is only 13) are the true heroes in my eyes

The movie is called "The Eagle Huntress" - the Eagles are stolen from the nest as Eaglets and used to hunt mostly foxes for fur - the Eagles are released back into the wild when they are 7 years old and become mature, so they can reproduce and be free again - the movie gives a glimpse into the Mongolian nomads' lives - worth watching!

Here is a link with some criticism of the film
http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-38874266

Bennie's Babies

by ZoeTX, Monday, August 21, 2017, 12:49 (116 days ago) @ BennieAndTheJets

Awww....those babies are SOOO cute. I have some babies, but never tire of getting look at baby pictures....or adult guinea pictures for that matter. Thanks for sharing

Babies and film referral

by Heritage Hens @, Thursday, August 24, 2017, 18:04 (112 days ago) @ BennieAndTheJets

Bennie, what great pictures. Your keets are so lucky to have such special attention and care that you have custom made for them.

And thanks for the referral to the film about the Huntress. I am going to pursue this and watch it if I can. My daughter's grandfather comes from the Lithuanian region where Genghis Khan invaded and I am sure that there is Mongolian blood somewhere in that wonderful person of hers.

So interesting to choose names for a special reason. I think it would be a wonderful GFIA Forum topic to have people give posts on how they chose names for their guineas and chickens.

Yours is very inspirational!

l:u

--
Heritage Hens Homestead

Felix is a girl - yeah! - so happy to have hens in this bunch

by BennieAnTheJets, Monday, September 25, 2017, 10:44 (81 days ago) @ BennieAndTheJets

lil'Felix said the first buck-wheat to me yesterday

the name stays - ha ha

so happy to have a bunch of girls in this set of babies

last year we kept 4 Pearl Grays and they were 3 boys and 1 girl

we have a few lonely guys who are looking for a girlfriend in the main flock right now - fingers crossed - these new arrivals hold some hope - we'll see who pairs up next spring :-D

g+b :a: g:f

RSS Feed of thread