Guinea
Decals

Color Chart

GFIA
Latest News

GFIA Articles &
Activities Index

Find us on Facebook

My second flock is so different from my first! (General Discussion)

by Trillium, Friday, September 15, 2017, 18:17 (35 days ago)

This is my second little flock of seven, and they're so different from the first! I never thought about flocks having their own personalities, but these certainly seem to.

My current flock is less used to being handled, but they're willing to come up a lot closer to us. Sometimes I feel like they're even following the kids around when they play outside. It's pretty common that they decide to hang out in the same area, just off to the side a little. And they've gotten used to our dog too. They let him come right into the middle of them. Since they're less likely to run, he's less likely to chase them. Usually he just sniffs around and goes back to the kids. We're still careful, but it's been wonderful not to have to worry so much about him scattering them.

Also, these are more prone to roam through the bushes. Our others stuck around the house more (especially the glass doors where they could see their reflections!), but the new flock likes to go into the woods. And they're quieter! I could always tell where the first ones were, but whenever these start squawking, it startles me because the noise comes from a totally different area than where I thought they were. They're like ninja guineas!

The thing I really don't like as much is that this flock will NOT go back into the coop when I want them to. If they don't feel like it, they won't go. I end up chasing them around all through the woods and bushes and brambles, and I make no progress. The first flock was far more cooperative.

Anyway, I'm really enjoying having guineas out and about again. They're never boring!

My second flock is so different from my first!

by ChrisCT, Saturday, September 16, 2017, 10:02 (34 days ago) @ Trillium

Could this all be about age & experience though?

My flock was Much different 5yrs ago from today and TOTALLY different from 10yrs ago. They change over time (age) and with the familiarity (experience). They are "kids" then "teenagers" become "adults" and finally "seniors". Each phase their personality also changes a lot! (like puppies & kittens).

If they're less than about 1 1/2yr old they're Scared of everything, Explore everywhere, and Compete with one another ALL THE TIME - you sure you just didn't Forget? ;-)

My second flock is so different from my first!

by Trillium, Sunday, September 17, 2017, 11:36 (33 days ago) @ ChrisCT

Good point! However, I'm a total noob at this. I lost my first flock back in May, and they were only ~four months old! That's about the age this new flock is now! So age-wise, they're very similar.

But you give me a lot of hope that someday these crazies will mature and allow me to put them back in the coop without so much trouble!!

Have you read Cindy's article on this site about training your guineas to go into the coop?

by Barbara-NH @, Sunday, September 17, 2017, 20:46 (33 days ago) @ Trillium

If not, you may want to check it out for some helpful tips.

guineas.com/articles/training.php

Have you read Cindy's article on this site about training your guineas to go into the coop?

by Trillium, Sunday, September 17, 2017, 21:09 (33 days ago) @ Barbara-NH

Yes, that's how we trained both our flocks. But somehow the first one responded well, and this second one is full of rebels! They go in on their own in the early evening, but they run and hide in the bushes whenever we try during the day.

Today was better. It took our entire family of four, but we got them in during the afternoon. I guess we'll just enlist the kids to keep helping until the guineas learn to cooperate better.

Thanks!

Happy to hear it was better today

by Barbara-NH @, Monday, September 18, 2017, 17:17 (32 days ago) @ Trillium

Guineas really are creatures of habit. If you can find something that works well, continue to repeat those actions until it becomes a routine operation for them. Best of luck!

RSS Feed of thread