Decals

Color Chart

GFIA
Latest News

GFIA Articles &
Activities Index

Find us on Facebook

Injured bird (Diseases & Injuries)

by Trillium, Monday, September 25, 2017, 09:21 (25 days ago)

Yesterday afternoon, a visiting friend's dog got out of our house (their 5-year-old opened the door for her without realizing) and attacked our guineas. She was under control quickly, but one bird was hurt. He is limping/flopping badly, and prefers to simply sit. We picked him up and looked him over, but aren't sure what's wrong.

I'm going to put him in the wire dog crate while the rest of them range today, because I'm afraid he'll be easy pickings for predators, and/or that he won't be able to keep up. Is there anything else I can do? Will he be okay alone, or should I pen another bird up with him?

Injured bird

by CindyTX @, Monday, September 25, 2017, 10:07 (25 days ago) @ Trillium

In my opinion, unless the bird really needs to be isolated, guineas are quite good at knowing when they need to rest and are happier if left with the flock. They will typically find a shrub under which to rest where they can see or at least hear the others and is on the route the flock will take when heading back home. The limp might take many weeks or even months to heal, but they generally do heal. Good luck!

Injured bird

by BennieAnTheJets, Monday, September 25, 2017, 10:38 (25 days ago) @ CindyTX

Hi Trillium,

I agree with Cindy on the not separating - being a softie, though, I would definitely keep an eye on things when they are out and/or confine the injured bird in the crate, like you said, at least for a few days, so that s/he can heal without the stress of having to keep up with the flock - agree with Cindy again, though, on not separating one bird completely - the stress would hinder the healing - could you keep the flock in for a few days, or keep a few buddies in with her/him - ?? - not sure what your set-up is like and what would work for you and your flock.

So sorry this happened. Hope the Guinea recovers ok. We had one limping as a teenager because she got hung on a branch I added to the coop - she did recover - I guess it all depends on what the injury is.

You say there is no wound? a wound could get infected and may need attention - if it is a tendon or even a bone, they often heal on their own - not without pain, but hopefully survivable

keep us posted

and by the way, Cindy has tons more experience than I have - just chiming in for another opinion

RSS Feed of thread