Guinea
Decals

Color Chart

GFIA
Latest News

GFIA Articles &
Activities Index

Find us on Facebook

Guinea gasping/gulping? What is this? (General Discussion)

by amarcoux, Friday, October 06, 2017, 07:53 (70 days ago)

I have a guinea standing outside making a gasping/gulping movement w/ it's beak. I've not seen this behavior before???

Might be..

by Barbara-NH @, Saturday, October 07, 2017, 01:05 (69 days ago) @ amarcoux

..something caught in its throat? You might try putting a little olive oil down the throat to help dislodge whatever it is and move things along. Also could be gapeworm. The main symptom when a guinea has gapeworm is an open beak with wheezing or gasping. To check for gapeworm, look down the guinea's throat with a flashlight. If there are gapeworms, you should see some small red, thin worms that look like Y's. That's the male and female gapeworms joined together. Once symptoms are noticed, it can be hard to treat.

Hope it's nothing serious. Please let us know how it's doing.

gapeworm

by BennieAnTheJets, Sunday, October 08, 2017, 23:42 (67 days ago) @ amarcoux

I used Fenbendazole for gapeworm

https://tinyurl.com/y7x365qw

at 50 mg/ kg of body weight - so for the average Guinea it translated into about 0.8 ml of the Safe-Guard for goats 10% suspension

I did it for 5 days in a row into the beak - and I did it for 26 Guineas - no, I don't want to hear from anyone that it cannot be done - ha ha - it was mission impossible, of course, but after over 100 doses gives orally, I got quite good at it

you have to be careful not to drown the bird! - do not squirt liquid into the throat! - I put the liquid into the beak from one side and let the bird drink it slowly - only a few drops at a time - some individuals shake it out, so I gave a little more from a second syringe - most took it ok

I used 1 cc syringes without the needle, of course

for example: https://tinyurl.com/ycg8kcvc

would diatomaceous earth work for that? garlic?

by ramdai, Tuesday, November 28, 2017, 20:34 (16 days ago) @ BennieAnTheJets

I saw that onions and garlic might not be the best for guineas, but I used to use a garlic clove in the water for the keets when they would start to get sick which seemed to help. I know I have used garlic personally to get rid of pinworms.

DE also might be real beneficial, just mixed in with the food.

I periodically dump a little in just as routine maintenance

Personally, I don't think it would hurt

by Barbara-NH @, Thursday, November 30, 2017, 13:48 (15 days ago) @ ramdai

But, when it comes to gapeworms, I would opt for a more powerful treatment. I'm not sure that DE or garlic would work as quickly, and time is of the essence when dealing with gapeworms. DE works as an abrasive, and garlic has some antibacterial (and possibly antiviral) properties, which can be wonderful when dealing with certain problems, especially as a preventative.

Garlic and DE

by ramdai, Friday, December 01, 2017, 18:48 (13 days ago) @ Barbara-NH

I just looked it up, and my Guinea seems to do that at times, but I would guess she's done it off and on for years. I've noticed her sneeze once or twice, but not cough

She does this funny thing though when I scratch the base of her neck on the back, where she sticks her neck out very straight, sort of reminds me of a dog when you scratch them at the base of the tail where they can't reach too well.

I went ahead and put garlic in her water and DE in her food, but may have to try and diagnose it better to determine if she's infected and how urgent it might be.

I do have a microscope to check for eggs in her poop, not sure how easy it might be to look down her throat, but I'll try that at some point--almost seems like a two person job.

Garlic is most assuredly a top shelf anti biotic, anti viral, anti fungal, and vermifuge, but of course all worms are somewhet different as far as how well it might treat them.
\
I'm also thinking about bringing in some wormwood from the garden to make sure she has plenty of access to it, I think it still has some green leaves, most animals will self medicate--for all I know she may have been doing it right along keeping any infection under control.

The behavior you describe...

by Barbara-NH @, Friday, December 01, 2017, 23:35 (13 days ago) @ ramdai

...where your hen extends her neck when you scratch it, is a common behavior exhibited by most guinea fowl. It is something they tend to do when they are relaxed, and it is thought to be a form of mutual grooming. Another guinea will peck between the feathers of the neck while it is extended. It may be because it is an area they cannot reach easily on their own, or it may just feel good. My guineas used to do it quite often, and it was so sweet to watch two birds that may not have been especially fond of each other spending some quiet, peaceful time together.

RSS Feed of thread