Guinea
Decals

Color Chart

GFIA
Latest News

GFIA Articles &
Activities Index

Find us on Facebook

Does anyone know about chocolate and guineas? (General Discussion)

by ramdai, Thursday, November 23, 2017, 20:31 (24 days ago)

- No text -

Does anyone know about chocolate and guineas?

by ramdai, Thursday, November 23, 2017, 20:38 (24 days ago) @ ramdai

sorry, I hit a wrong button and didn't get to enter my text
To explain, I do a frozen chocolate soy milk, strawberry banana smoothie (fortified with extra bakers chocolate) and my pet guinea begs me for it whenever she can.

She generally eats a few ounces at a time. I've heard parrots can die from it, and dogs aren't supposed to have it either, but what about guinea fowl?

What I've read...

by Barbara-NH @, Friday, November 24, 2017, 03:35 (23 days ago) @ ramdai

...suggests that all birds might be susceptible to toxic reactions to chocolate, especially dark chocolate, mainly because of the birds' size and fast metabolisms. I would worry about guineas since most are more "wild" or "hyper" than other domesticated birds, but I have not heard of any specific incidents involving guinea fowl.

The ingredient of concern seems to be theobromine, a compound found in greater quantities in the darker chocolates. It can initially cause digestive system problems and then disrupt the nervous system. First symptoms of toxicity are often hyperactivity followed by vomiting.

What I've read...

by ramdai, Friday, November 24, 2017, 13:27 (23 days ago) @ Barbara-NH

Thanks Barbara,

I'm not exactly sure what to do, since she is a pet and basically demands it now. Getting her to stop pecking at me till she gets her fix, could be an issue and she has been eating the mix for some time with none of the side effects you mentioned, but it's good to know what they might be.

Also she is getting lots of fresh/frozen fruit with it so it's fairly dilute. She also is somewhat self limiting in her consumption

Lucky is not your ordinary guinea and tends to be more laid back than any of the others I've had when I had a flock--although she does have her moments.

It might be better for both of us though if I substituted a straight fruit smoothie now and again and let that be what I share with her.

Thanks for the info,

Bob

That sounds like a good plan

by Barbara-NH @, Saturday, November 25, 2017, 01:33 (22 days ago) @ ramdai

I wish I knew for sure whether there is a real need to worry, but why test fate? Here's a link to one of the articles where I read about chocolate's potential danger to birds:

Toxicoses in Birds

And another:

10 Everyday Items that are Toxic to Birds

thanks for the links.

by ramdai, Sunday, November 26, 2017, 17:32 (21 days ago) @ Barbara-NH

- No text -

thanks for the links.

by ramdai, Sunday, November 26, 2017, 17:40 (21 days ago) @ ramdai

I failed putting my new fruit only smoothie into effect today, maybe tomorrow. I should at least do that when she might have the opportunity to beg from me.

Guessing there's nothing wrong with nutritional yeast and flax seeds

I believe both are very good for guineas!

by Barbara-NH @, Monday, November 27, 2017, 00:26 (20 days ago) @ ramdai

- No text -

RSS Feed of thread