Order Guinea
Decals & More

Color Chart

GFIA
Conferences

GFIA Articles &
Activities Index

Find us on Facebook GFIA Homepage

laying eggs questions (General Discussion)

by service1010, Wednesday, April 17, 2013, 17:33 (614 days ago)

How many eggs does one hen usually lay each day?

What time of day does she typically lay?

I have 3 or 4 hens and 3 or 4 roos (I have never heard one of the guineas make a noise!)

I had 1 broken egg on Friday, in the coop
2 eggs, in 2 different nests, on Monday
1 egg on Tuesday in one of the same nests.

They free range during the day (6am - 5pm) and sleep in the coop at night.

Usually, after they are let out of the cage, they fly the fence and graze on the 40 acres. I call them in (or try too!) everytime they fly out.

The eggs that I found were in my yard.

I am on 'egg patrol' 2x a day now, as I want to pick up the eggs. I look under every tree, and bush, in my 1 acre yard.

No eggs today, Wednesday.

Also, one of the eggs that I had picked up, and marked with an X, and put back in the nest, was pecked by a guinea until the yolk flowed.

I always am grateful for all of your help and support!

Laying eggs answers

by BarbaraNH @, New Hampshire, USA, Thursday, April 18, 2013, 00:33 (614 days ago) @ service1010

Typically a guinea hen will lay only one egg each day during the laying season. It's not uncommon for the hen to skip a day or even a few days (especially during a hot spell). Nor is it completely out of the question for the hen to lay an egg early in the morning and then another one later that same day, but that is a very unusual happening and probably not something that will occur in most flocks.

Time of day for egg laying can vary; but as the laying season progresses, the time an egg is laid should come a little later each day as it can take a little more than 24 hours for most eggs to travel through the hen's reproductive tract.

Laying eggs answers

by service1010, Thursday, April 18, 2013, 10:09 (613 days ago) @ BarbaraNH

Thank you

Very helpful

Laying eggs opinion

by jackiekennedy ⌂ @, Mabank, TX, Friday, April 19, 2013, 07:43 (613 days ago) @ service1010

most of mine lay in the morning or before about 3 PM. I like for em to lay in the coop because I hatch with an incubator, no more abandon nest with 30+ eggs this year. I do think some younger guineas produce eggs that are not real hard shelled, thus in the scamper inside the coop some get broken. A mature guinea egg is a very hard shelled item, most of the time dropping on the ground does no harm.

Laying eggs opinion

by service1010, Friday, April 19, 2013, 11:08 (612 days ago) @ jackiekennedy

Thanks.

Mine are paired up, but I am only finding a single egg each day

Laying eggs opinion

by EllenTX @, central Texas, Sunday, April 21, 2013, 16:14 (610 days ago) @ service1010

Thanks.

Mine are paired up, but I am only finding a single egg each day

Pairing up doesn't mean anything at all. One cock can easily handle / service half a dozen hens or more.
A single egg a day simply means the hens are gearing up for the season. When you start finding established nests, THAT'S when the eggs are fertile & the season has begun.

--
“The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.”

Laying eggs opinion

by service1010, Monday, April 22, 2013, 09:52 (609 days ago) @ EllenTX

TY. I think that I lost the battle.

They fly over the fence now, right after the coop has been opened. And, they stay out for a couple of hours..... If they are, and they probably are, building nests on the 40 acres, the predators will the eggs/guineas before I do

Sigh.....

Weird that they paired up for no sensible reason.

Laying eggs answers

by pearl7000, Friday, April 19, 2013, 07:49 (612 days ago) @ BarbaraNH

Good info--thank you, Barbara!

Fertile eggs - correction

by Heritage Hens @, Monday, April 22, 2013, 10:10 (609 days ago) @ pearl7000

Based on my experiences in my coop, eggs do not have to be in a clutch or a nest to be fertile.
In March I began to find an egg here and there, often in the middle of the coop floor or under a perch. Many of these were fertile.

Only recently has a hen made a nest bowl and decided to set after 5 or so eggs were deposited in it.

Fertile eggs - correction

by service1010, Monday, April 22, 2013, 16:55 (609 days ago) @ Heritage Hens

ty

Fertile eggs - clarification

by Heritage Hens @, Monday, April 22, 2013, 18:16 (609 days ago) @ service1010

Service, I should have said clarification, not correction. Usually eggs in a hen-made nest are fertile.
My clarification was meant to prevent eggs that are either dropped inadvertently by the hen or an inexperienced young hen, from being tossed out as not being fertile, when they MAY be fertile.

Good luck with your flock! :-)

RSS Feed of thread